working hoppers??

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by crthompson, Nov 30, 2004.

1. crthompson

crthompson New Member

Can anyone tell me if they have ever seen an open top hopper with actual working dump hatches? Like a coal hopper that you can use to haul actual sand or something and actually dump it through the hatches? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge.
    Tyco had an opperating hopper.
    It was a 2 bay hopper with clam shell doors that opened when pushed onto the tipple.
    Some of the old AHM 4 bay hoppers had doors that opened.
  3. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Ha cr, Welcome to the Gauge. I have a Seaboard 40' quad hopper by Athearn with operating doors. Only thing is it's from the early 70's so it may be long out of production. I couldn't find the box to give you the Athearn #,sorry. I did find the box to a 34' hopper I remember getting at the same time-sale price, $1.39 :eek:
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Sounds like its time to hit the flea markets! :)
  5. crthompson

crthompson New Member

Thanks for the info, I have been searching for months and have found nothing. I wish I could find cars today for $1.39!!! I would blow a months worth of salary on that price!

Thanks again guys.
  6. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

A fellow at a club I once belonged to had a string of operating hoppers, I suppose the Tyco ones. We had operating loading and unloading (mine to power plant). The loads were unloaded into a large coke bottle and when it was full it was dumped into the mne bin. An augur brought the coal to the tipple. It was a great idea for operation but we disallowed its use before to long, as the sprung doors on the hoppers couldn't quite prevent a small amount of discharge as the cars travelled along the railroad. Bits of the coal wound up in the switch points and prevented proper throw of the turnouts. This led to many problems of course so the operating hopper cars were outlawed!
  7. mhdishere

mhdishere Member

It seems to me that Con Cor made operating hoppers a few years back, maybe the same as the old Tyco ones.
  8. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

The new Atlas HO 70 ton Hart ballast cars are equipped with 4 longitudinal bottom doors (2 per side) that will open and will remain closed tight enough to prevent any of the load from leaking out, but can be opened from the outside by using a thin pointed "Stiff" peice of wood dowel to gently pry each door open.

9. crthompson

crthompson New Member

hey thanks! So I wonder if the n-scale has the same feature??