Working HO Chopper

David Rosser

A week ago my grandson had a failure of a remote control robot like device; a sad story, but a reason to dis-assemble the entire machine for "parts we can use later!" This gave me the use of a VERY small can motor with a gear on the shaft. I made a hub in plastic that could be press fit on the gear and then attached a 4 blade rotor made from thin but stiff clear plastic, CA glued it to the hub/gear. Tests showed we had a working rotor. I then used styrene sheet in two thicknesses,plastic tube, rod, and aluminum flashing to build the basic chopper body with a bulkhead in the center and a hole on the floor to hold the motor/rotor assembly. Picture 1 shows this....

The second picture shows the complete chopper, the landing pad attached to the roof of the house, walkway, hole in the side of the house for the switch, the battery pack, and switch, etc.

Attachments

• DSCN8807.jpg
    DSCN8807.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN8809.jpg
    DSCN8809.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 185

David Rosser

The next picture is a view of the house held on the side in a vice. Wires lead from the chopper bottom, through the pad and into the house, the battery is in place, the switch is press fit into the wall of the house. All wires now need final connection. None of this<except the switch> is visible when the house is in place, and you really have to look close to see it.

The final view shows the house in place, looking over the tracks, and the blades of the chopper whirling away!. I needed to use some fine wire to hold the skids in place on the pad; the motor torque tries to turn the chopper! Adds a neat touch.That part of the layout is about 30 years old; you can see in the picture that some of the track is brass. A fun project!!!! Dave

Attachments

• DSCN8811.jpg
    DSCN8811.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN8818.jpg
    DSCN8818.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 180

rcline

Our choppers need to meet, You got your rotors working and I have all my interior and exterior lights working. Great job!!

rcline

David, go to page 6 of these threads and look for the one I called "beginner tries to strike again" and you can my chopper and my ambulance.
Again, great job!

David Rosser

I like the interior light! I still have one spare motor; maybe I should try for lights and action - or - maybe I should quite before I get in over my head! In any case, I would use a remote switch instead of one on the house. The problem is that the only practical house sits on a hill made the old way, wood blocks, screen mesh, and plaster of paris. Running wires through that would not be my idea of fun. Dave

rcline

Go all out for the lights and action. you can do any thing you put your mind to.
So go get at it and show us the results when your done!!!!!