Working From Plans

hswn

In building my trestle I had problem finding round stock for the uprights. I ended up useing the long one ended Q tips from a drug store, way cheaper then buying dowels. When you cut of the tip you have 5 3/8". Plus the fact the local hobby shop only stocks what they use in RC planes.
I'm prestenly working on a wooden through (Howe) truss bridge with curved track.
Brady

Hey Brady,
Have you tried bamboo skewers for your local supermarket? They come in a variety of diameters and lengths (varies from store to store), stain or paint well and are pretty cheap.
Doc

Will_annand

Brady, don't know about your area, but up here, most larger trestles were built with square wooden beams. only the small pile trestles used round timber.

spitfire

Will, if I'm thinking of the same building you're talking about, the typical Ontario "Gothic" house, Sylvan does make it in 2 different styles - and they make it in N too.

Val

Will_annand

Val, you are thinking about the HO kits "Grandpa's House" and "Aunt Elizabeth's House", they are 2 story versions of what are across the road from me. If you look at the N Scale "Grandpa's House, unless the picture is at a bad angle, it looks like the second floor windows on the side of the house are lower than the top of the door in the front.

spitfire

Yes, that's the one I'm thinking of Will. It's hard to tell because the top of the front door is covered by the overhang. Looking at the HO model, which is from a different angle, the top of the front door is actually a little bit lower than the tops of the 1st story windows. I would imagine the N-scale version is the same, but you could always email them and ask.

Val

Will_annand

Not to worry Val.
I have 3-4 Syvan kits on my "Want List". I am sure it is correct, just an optical conclusion in the photo.

hswn

Trestle

I looked at useing the bamboo skewers there size wasn't what I was looking for. I bassed my trestle on a local abanded one that is three cross brace sections high, and uses round pilings.
Brady

Will_annand

I found an interesting link, I have not explorer it to far though.

www.freepapertoys.com :cool:

If you choose the "Buildings & Structures" category, you get a long list. some links are broken, but so I found 2-3 intersting buildings. All seem to have free downloads. :thumb: Even if the building is not finescale quality, it will at least fill a hole until I can get around to super detailing that corner of the layout.

Of cousre, Robin could superdetail them on the fly. :D

hswn said:
I looked at useing the bamboo skewers there size wasn't what I was looking for. I bassed my trestle on a local abanded one that is three cross brace sections high, and uses round pilings.
Brady
What size are you looking for?
Doc

Will_annand

I am back again, bugging you fine people. :D

I came across a couple of back issues of RMC. That have a great series of structure to build.

I have "The Company Store" (Dec 1977), "Company Houses" (Dec 1978), and "President's House" (Aug. 1980).

I am looking for two more to complete the series:

"Boarding House" (May 1978)
"Planing Mill" (Sept 1979)

If anyone has these and wishes to trade for the ones I have, or anything else I have collected. :D

I would be very greatful.
Thanks in advance.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Will,

I will try to keep an eye out for these at my club dinner meet. Back issues (oldest I have is 1957...) go for $0.25 ;)

Back issues are a great source. I really like RMC, but older MR (pre- 1990) have good stuff too.

Andrew

Will_annand

It seems I am mistaken, my articles on the Company Store and Company Houses are not the ones from the Porterfield Series by Jerry Strangarity.

So all I have is the President's House, The Barn and Blacksmith shops.

Also, not mentioned above is an article on the "Mill Supt. House".

hswn

Doc Holliday said:
What size are you looking for?
Doc
I was looking for something about 3/16" the skewers were all over the place in size. I have 18" of trestle pluss truss sections built.
Brady

Will,
I got your "thank you package" yesterday and looked at a litle bit of it. What a great train history DVD! I'd have watched more but my wife wanted to watch bull riding.
Thanks again for all your help.
Doc