Working crossing signals/arms : Recommendations?

Gary S.

Does anyone have operational crossing signals with arms that drop down? Any suggestions or experiences? What do you use to detect the trains? What logic controls them? Anybody?

i have 2 sets of crossings made by tomar industries and they tell you what you need and how it opperates and as for my self i love em. HO #H-863
$165.30
HO SCALE RR CROSSING SIGNAL W/GATE
four LED,s 2-front,2-back
gates powered by Tortouis switch machine.
Switch machine & linkage included
(flasher & detection units not included)
red/white and black/white decals for gate.

Gary S.

How about the detection units? I am considering getting some very small capitive proximity switches and mounting them up through the benchwork through the ties.

What about the logic circuits? Simply whichever proximity triggers first lowers the gates, and the second one triggered raises the gates?

I found some operating gates at the LHS for $39 a pair. I will need to build a flasher and use a tortoise to raise/lower them.

I'm thinking I want to scratchbuild the circuits/operating mechanisms.

The way it detects the trains is by 4 sensors that are placed verious spaces on your track in between ties as the train covers 1st in a east or west direction it activates the circut board that tomar sells into which activates lights and the gates which are driven by the tortise machines. the 3rd one times out the train then returns gates to idel till next train. if you wish to contact me privetly i can try and score some pcs for you to see

Gary S.

Would love to see some pics. Can you post them here on the Gauge? I'm sure others would be interested also.

Are the sensors made by Tomar? How much do they cost?

nkp174

hmm....I thought NJ International made working signals as well as some old, cool ones.

I bet working semifores (sp?) or ball types (as in High Ball) would be quite cool.