workbench help

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Which bench work would be the best to work with?
I like the open-top one. But how would you know where to align or place your track?

Thanks, CAS
benchwork7ym.jpg

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I would think since you don't have a lot of trackwork, that starting off with foam and use foam risers might be easier to start with. Just my thoughts, your choice ultimately...:wave::wave:

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
I like the open-top one. But how would you know where to align or place your track?
CAS
On open top benchwork you would have to know where your tracks are going to be and at what height, not exactly but pretty close then you'd map their locations on some sub-roadbed made out of plywood supported on risers, (sounds more complicated than it is). Get yourself a book on bench work or maybe you can find someone who's built an open top layout and see if they will let you crawl under it for a peek.

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
I made both types of benchwork for layouts. The one problem with the solid base is reaching across it. The open frame is easier to get under and retrieve derailed trains. The solid base layout that I had lasted only a few months before I took it apart to build another. The layout I have now is a shelf design the widest part is 2 feet wide.

The way I did mine is cut out pieces of plywood in straight tracks for were the curves are I added a triangle shaped piece of plywood to were the straight tracks meet and used small pieces of plywood to attach the joints of the wood. Then all you have to do is add pieces of wood to raise the track to the height you want it. You do not have to figure out anything except were to start and how wide you want the plywood to be to hold the track.

Here are some pictures to help understand a little better.

The two straight pieces meeting on a 90 degree and the triangle to carry the track.
im0045848at.jpg

A peak underneath of the corner.
im0045850dc.jpg

im0045889jd.jpg

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Will your layout is lookin' better all the time!! :thumb:

CAS
Don't know what era you plan to model but I found this guy's link John Leader to be one of my favorites as he models the Rockies and that's what I want to do. But he has a lot of benchwork pictures which can give you, (or anyone for that matter) some good ideas. The Rail Images site is loaded with lots of picture galleries of guys who model N scale, I go there a lot for ideas.

2slim

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
CAS: with the open top you try to cut roadbed to fit where the track is going -- it's usually assembled from pieces. Then the supports are added in where the roadbed goes. Some people go by eye, some measure a lot, and some draw it out in full uner the layout!

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
ive tried them all at one time or another.Suffice it to say i will never build any layout unless its over L girder or Open Grid benchwork. it just eliminates all kinds of headaches ,the kind that crop up after you are so far into the project you hate to quit!!

Your call,learning from others experiances may just save you the same troubles though :)