Work in progress

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by Matthyro, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Here is a picture of the structures I am currently scrachbuilding that together will become a logging camp. I don't have a name for the camp yet!

Attached Files:

2. interurban

interurban Active Member

Are they ever good Robin.
    I hope to see what David is up to on Saturday will we see you about 1 oclock??;)
  3. jkristia

jkristia Member

wait, can you post a close up before you paint it, or is it already to late.

Looks good as usual.
  4. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Wow Robin. They look great. What is that white role in the background?
  5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I'll bet that's Robin's window making material. Dry walling mesh.
    Robin, neat collection of buildings! It seems that you are continually creating!
  6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Very nice as usual Robin!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
  7. Matthyro

Sorry Jesper
    I painted them tonight and have added chimneys and hand rails and such.
    Yup, that roll is as you say Ralph.
    I work on stuff like this while watching TV. My workbench is a TV table with a cutting board on it.
  8. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Hey. I have a roll of black stuff just like it. I could use it and paint it.
  9. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

They do look good, Robin! That mess hall looks plenty big to keep all them LPP's fed, too! :D

How about Mastercraft Lumber Co. Camp No. 7?:rolleyes:
  10. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Robin, Those look excellent, I notice you are using pinking shears (I think) for making the shingles. Nice work indeed.

BTW, how about "Pine View" for the camp site name :D
  11. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Being those are probably cereal boxes how about "Kellog's" for the camp name?? :D :rolleyes: :D :p :D
  12. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Super modelling Robin. BUt tell me please, where do you get the patience to do soooooo much repetitive work?? :eek:
    The mess hall is one impressive looking building.
    Are they all made from sheet styrene?

Let's see the painted ones please. (I need lessons in painting :) )

13. Matthyro

Thanks for the name suggestions guys. Eroll, they are made out of 1/32 cardboard (the cereal box type) Repetition can be tedious but I cut all the pieces first then gluing doesn't take too long. Shamus, the cutting for shigles is done with a tiny cutting wheel with slight wobbles in it. I think it was intended as a leather cutting tool.
    Here is a photo of the cookhouse. Details still to be added.

Attached Files:

14. aartwmich

aartwmich Member

NICE Robin!! Dang you ARE the cerealboard serial builder for sure!
  15. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

OK, Robin, I'll play the role of the dummy and ask the dumb question begging to be asked...........Who eats ALL that cereal!!????:D :D :D :D
  16. Matthyro

Well sumpter250, both my wife and I have a bowl of cereal with fruit added for breakfast each morning. When my grandchildren visit, they like cereal too(the sugary kind) As boxes get empty, I save them. I can usually get two structures out of one box. I have enough boxes saved at the moment to make 30 more buildings.
  17. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Fantastic!!!:D :D :D Three thumbs up!!!

How do you keep the cardboard from warping when you paint it? I made a tent out of thin card and it got all mushy when wet, but it was small enough it dried OK.;)
  18. Matthyro

What kind of paint do you use Jon? I use those acrylic paints that come in little bottles sold in most craft stores and also in Walmart. I use the first coat of paint full strength and water thinned for washes after the first coat is dry.
  19. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

It was actually white glue that made it warp, and the paints I use are like yours, so I guess I'm concerned over something that will never be. :)