Work flat with small crane

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by MasonJar, Jun 21, 2004.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Well, at long last, here is my little work flat. I had originally posted a few photos of this in progress, but I think they may have been post in the crash of '04... :confused:

Anyway, this started life as a 36' flatcar. Inspired by an article from August 1995 (I think) MR about Ma&Pa MOW, I started collecting parts and other junk for use on this little car.

Most of the parts are scratchbuilt, or are details out of my junk box. The two-spool hoist is a Life-Like part with the boiler removed (for use in a future project no doubt). The hook comes from a 25-ton crane, so may be a bit of overkill.

All together, it cost me about $20 in parts (including the flatcar) plus about 15 hours of time over several months to get it done.

Attached Files:

2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Is this HO scale? Really doesn't matter though, it's great! :cool: :thumb: Outstanding job!
  3. MasonJar

Thanks Tyson! Yes it is HO. I can't imagine how the N-scale modllers do it - I had a hard enough time with the tiny dimension of some of the parts... ;)

4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

An excellent piece of modeling, Andrew! :thumb:
    A+++ :cool:
  5. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

Very nice, Andrew, great job!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
  6. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Great job Andrew!
  7. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Great Andrew. :)
  8. MasonJar

Thanks for the compliments guys! :D

9. George D

George D Member

Nice job Andrew.:thumb:
  10. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Andrew.......................Real Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
  11. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Very Nice Andrew, I like doing that kind of work myself, so I know what goes into something like that.

12. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

A great looking model Andrew. I am sure it will be put to good use on your layout.
  13. belg

belg Member

Andy this is an excellent model with great character did you have a prototype foto to build from? If so could you post it?Or and address if its from the NET. thanks Pat
  14. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Beautiful, Andrew! ...And is that diorama ever REFECT for displaying such a nice model! A BIG thumbs up! [​IMG]
  15. MasonJar

Thanks again guys!

I have suddenly (ok, not so suddenly...) taken an interest in non-revenue cars, and this is the first real project in that vein, if you don't count weathering a MOW boxcar ;)

PS - Pat - the prototype is a Ma&Pa work flat that was featured in MR some years ago. It was a two part series: one for the flat, and one for a highly modified boxcar that became a rolling workshop. You can probably search on the Index of Magazines at , which is likely faster than waiting for me to look it up again ;) :D