Work flat with small crane

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Well, at long last, here is my little work flat. I had originally posted a few photos of this in progress, but I think they may have been post in the crash of '04... :confused:

Anyway, this started life as a 36' flatcar. Inspired by an article from August 1995 (I think) MR about Ma&Pa MOW, I started collecting parts and other junk for use on this little car.

Most of the parts are scratchbuilt, or are details out of my junk box. The two-spool hoist is a Life-Like part with the boiler removed (for use in a future project no doubt). The hook comes from a 25-ton crane, so may be a bit of overkill.

All together, it cost me about $20 in parts (including the flatcar) plus about 15 hours of time over several months to get it done.

Andrew

Attachments

• 06200015.JPG
    06200015.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 342
  • 06200019.JPG
    06200019.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 06200021.JPG
    06200021.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 338

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Thanks Tyson! Yes it is HO. I can't imagine how the N-scale modllers do it - I had a hard enough time with the tiny dimension of some of the parts... ;)

Andrew

shamus

Registered Member
Very Nice Andrew, I like doing that kind of work myself, so I know what goes into something like that.

Shamus

belg

Andy this is an excellent model with great character did you have a prototype foto to build from? If so could you post it?Or and address if its from the NET. thanks Pat

Lighthorseman

Beautiful, Andrew! ...And is that diorama ever REFECT for displaying such a nice model! A BIG thumbs up!
thumbs.gif

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Thanks again guys!

I have suddenly (ok, not so suddenly...) taken an interest in non-revenue cars, and this is the first real project in that vein, if you don't count weathering a MOW boxcar ;)

Andrew

PS - Pat - the prototype is a Ma&Pa work flat that was featured in MR some years ago. It was a two part series: one for the flat, and one for a highly modified boxcar that became a rolling workshop. You can probably search on the Index of Magazines at trains.com , which is likely faster than waiting for me to look it up again ;) :D