Work Diorama

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by rockislandmike, Oct 23, 2002.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Although I finished this a few weeks ago, it's been patiently waiting for my next turn with the familial digital camera. Course, the diorama also moved to a new office yesterday too (as did I). So I guess it's apt that these finally appear today.

2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Nice, and I like those switchers! :D :D :D
  3. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Thats just a diorama? Are you gonna incoraprate into your layout, or just use it to display your favorites?
  4. Tankertoad70

Tankertoad70 Member

Sheesh, for a minute I thought I was a lookin' at the Espee:eek: , then realized it 'twas da 'Rock.' Man-o-man, what a pile of dirt!!!!!!!! Lookin' good however.:)
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Real nice, have you considered sticking a backdrop on it?
  6. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Great Job!

Really nice, Mike!:)

What are the dimensions? Any plans to put it up on the wall as a shelf diorama?
  7. NYCentral

NYCentral Member

I wish I could do that at work!!! but sorry to say they will not let me...:eek: :(

Very Nice Mike!!
  8. rockislandmike

Thanks everybody. They pretty much let me do anything I want here in my office. I've got my own artwork up on the walls as well, cause the corporate stuff is JUNK.

The diorama measures 5" x 49"; in my move to a new office, turns out I could add another 10" if I so choose (bigger credenza behind me now). I'm gonna use it just to display newer units, but not my *best* units (i.e., nothing higher than an Athearn) - we've had a lot of thievery recently here at the college. A couple of my coworkers at least like to poke their heads in whenever I've got new units and take a look.

I'm going to leave it here at the office, it's fun to display different units, and the NorQuest Express loco of course (that's where I work, see below). I hadn't thought of a backdrop, but that would be an easy addition.

If I did add another 10", I'm not sure what it would be either - I've got plenty of space on the credenza, so maybe even a small industrial building, jutting outwards in the corner.

I've got the top of a file cabinet free too, so I might build another diorama for there with the Medusa Cement facility (this would only be temporary, as it will be moved to the layout once ready). I could put the two ROCK switchers there, they would look pretty kewl, and I'm working on my third two-bay ROCK covered hopper, all of which would look pretty kewl in front of the cement facility. This could be as large as 18" x 36", and just keep it firmly attached with some doublesided tape until it needs to go home.
  9. rockislandmike

ATSF 3831

I posted this earlier, but just as a reminder, this is usually the loco that patrols this diorama. NorQuest College is, of course, where I work. I've also painted some plastic pellet hoppers for a company I help my dad out with ( ).

10. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Michael, looking good, I love the locoand colour sceme in the bottom pic.
  11. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Love the loco with your college lettering! ;)
  12. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

The Last Ten Inches...

How about a line of building flats? I suspect you could even print out some pictures of industries of some sort, glue them onto a slice of thin hardboard or something, thus creating an ersatz backdrop.:)
  13. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Nice work Michael!
    I really like the weathering on those "road weary" switchers!
    :cool: :cool: :cool:
    A backdrop would help to kind of frame the scene, & it tends to make the modeling really stand out.

I've built several dioramas in wooden "shadow boxes"...
    My wife loves them! :)
    And a lot of people that come to the house like them...people who ordinarily have no interest in model railroading.

Attached Files:

14. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

What a neat idea.:cool: I have a Z gauge engine and a few cars that need a home. I think they just found one.;)
  15. tomfassett

tomfassett Member

Likewise on the N gauge steam I just can't bring myself to cut up for kitbashed mine locos...
    Great little project idea when you want to spend a few moments working on something a bit less daunting than the big layout...

Tom F
  16. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Thought I'd stick a backdrop on it and paint the front edge black, hope you don't mind. :)

Attached Files:

17. rockislandmike

Not at all, Tyson !! That does look pretty kewl............