Word of warning about Windows system restore

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by BARX2, Dec 12, 2006.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I have been having problems with one application and decided to try system restore in my Windows XP box. I couldn't remember how far back to go, so I chose November 19 as it seems sufficiently far enough. Well, it was TOO far! My computer is pretty screwed up now and I'm about to reinstall Windows, so I thought I'd give you all a heads up. Don't do a system restore to before you installed Internet Explorer 7! I found this out the hard way. I looked up the kind of errors I am getting and it seems like this has happened to a lot of people who did a restore to before they installed IE7. Thanks Microsoft! :mad: I don't even use IE, but Microsoft pushed out the update to IE7 in a Windows update. I use Firefox. If I used IE I wouldn't be posting this now. :cry:

(Feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong forum.)
  2. ramatoto

ramatoto Member

That´s one of the reasons, why i never use IE!!
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And why I NEVER update major components as soon as they come out with them.

The one thing I hate about Microsoft is that they want everyone to be a BETA tester so they don't have to spend extra money testing new software.

I NEVER let Windows auto-update and I ALWAYS pick and choose what I want updated on my machine.

I'm from the old school of............. If it ain't broke don't try and fix it!
  4. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I agree, I use IE, but only IE6. Like you say, if it ain't buggy, don't update it. Also the trial version of winrar has a virus, it constantly shuts down IE, says you have a virus, and persuades you to buy something to fix it. Extract the old way by opening the compressed folder and moving the files to an uncompressed folder.
  5. Texman

Texman Guest

And, I usually don't upgrade as soon as it comes out. But, I upgraded to IE7, and haven't looked back. No problems, all is smooth, and seems to actually work better with my other apps as well. Dunno.

6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Well, I'm up and running again. That wasn't too painful. I had good backups. :)

As I said above, I don't use IE, however when MS pushed out the update that included IE7 I thought, what does it matter, I don't use it. However, IE7 makes lots of changes to your computer, including some that broke other programs. But all is working now and it's like having a new computer again. :roll:
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I allowed the IE7 update to install and then promptly uninstalled it after 2 hours. Absolutely hated the way they changed things.
  8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I have found that a lot of the "updates" don't really improve performance. Most seem to just add more bells and whistles and purty graphics that bog down the system or screw up other things because the update programmer thinks their ideas are the most important things in the whole known universe and everything and everyone else must comply so the "update" tries to reconfigure everything to fit the new order. That is why I very, very, very selectively choose what, when, where, and how anything on any of my computers gets updated. :)
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

How did you uninstall it? I haven't gotten that update yet on this new Windows installation. I'll do that when it comes in.
  10. angevine

angevine Member

I have IE7 on my system and found that when I had the website phishing filter on, even when I was not using IE, the whole system slowed and crashed.

Turned the Phishing filter off and wham! back to full speed.

As long as you know what site you are accessing and have good anti-virus and firewall who needs this filter?

If anyone has real trouble take a look at www.bombershints.co.uk and you should find a lot of answers ( Site owned by a friend of mine :) ).

11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cool Site! Thanks! I've added it to my favorites:grin:

12. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Thanks for the info Barx2. I think I wont be updating at all anymore since IE is integral to Windows OS. Yes I use firefox as well.
  13. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I use Mozilla, but I also have Firefox, and NEVER use ie.
    I am on Verizon DSL and I am glad I have Mozilla set as Default Browser.
    When I open Verizon home page it uses Mozilla. I get the Verizon Security update regularly. It wants to update ie to ie7. But since i don't use ie, I refuse the up date. Glad to see I am doing the right thing.