Woodland Scenics Water

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hadn't seen this post till now, nice work Pete. Dan, that club water scene is very impressive. I too would like info on the tecnique and materials used. I have a river scene to do shortly, I am in the process of making a test diorama of sorts, will try using 2 part epoxy above a small falls, and use cotton balls to add white water effect. Below the falls I plan to use gloss medium. will post a shot next week unless it sucks.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Cotton balls! Dang, I thought they would work. I had used them for some minor white water before, they look good in that waterfall. OK Pete, I'll post it regardless. should be at least ok.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
OK Pete, Against my better judgement Here are a couple shots of my test pour. Actually better looking in photos than in person. However, I'm not looking for this type of falls, I want to mimic the look of water falling over a smooth concrete edge. Well, I'll just rip out the cotton there (might be easier said than done) and try again. It's just a test after all!

Attachments

• p1010164jpg.jpg
    p1010164jpg.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 103

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
OK, It's six days since the thinned pour, and the fogging has cleared. Now I have to study ( sit for long hours with a glass of scotch, and daydream) the stream to be sure I don't need to make one more pour.

Gary,
The falls look good. I'm not sure how far a drop you have there, but water flowing over a smooth concrete edge will cause a back flow in the water at the lower level, and unless the drop is over four feet, won't cause much white water. Just a little where the falling water, and the backflow meet. there would be debris caught in the backflow, that would cycle at the base of the fall, along with any foam created by the falling water.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Pete, Very well described, thanks! I have removed the white water section and will be redoing it. Also set to start constuction of the trestle. Will post some shots as I go.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Gary,
Looking forward to seeing how you do. I was hoping others would post pics of what they had done with the WS water product, and so far my hopes have been realized. Thanks, and if any others are about to try this product, or recently have, lets see some pictures, and comments. I think there are others out there waiting to see some successes before they start.
Pete

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Pete, Ron, Sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone, the water above the falls is not a WS product, it is Envirotex, the two part epoxy. The ripples can be formed for a fairly short window of time, when the mix is nearly set up. For this pour, it was about 5 hours after pouring. Too soon, and the material just relevels itself. Too late and you'll either wind up with stiff unnatural crests due to the material not settling back some or the surface will be too hard to work. I use a pallete knife to dip into the surface and pull the material up. I found out years ago that this process causes quite a bit of suction on the riverbed bottom, as the material is lifted. This surface is just painted wood for my test and will be for the final application on the railroad. But years ago I poured the bottom from plaster, mixed thinner than normal so it would level. The plaster had been poured on plywood with some window screen tacked to it for something the plaster could hold onto. After painting the plaster and everything being set and dry, I poured the Envirotex, waited, and used the pallete knife to create ripples. Things were going well when all of a sudden, one of my strokes resulted in the plaster lifting off the screen. So, this is something to think about if you try this method.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow!

Dan and Gary - those falls are amazing - so realistic looking I can hear it!

Gary, you've probably thought of this by now, but here's a suggestion for doing ripples over a base that won't "suck" it up. Perhaps if you did one thin pour to seal everything, let dry, then do a second pour for the ripples.

Awesome work guys!

cheers
:D Val