Woodland Scenics Water

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I finally got to the point of using the Woodland Scenics water. The first pour kinda soaked in to the streambed, so this is the second pour. There are two more photos in the On30 Forum, "the On30 conspiracy".

Attachments

• river4.jpg
    river4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 294
Hi Sumpter,

Thats a great looking bridge to say the very least. With only two pours its sure looking great already. I'm getting ready to pour a large lake and been practicing on some scrape pieces of wood. It sure soaks up on that first pour for sure. I had a heck of a time getting the bottom painted to look good but I think I got it right now. It looks to me with a few more pours you will have it just the way you want it. Also a good looking steam engine. Have fun.

Ron :cool:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Ron,
When you get that lake poured, post some pictures!! Apparently, not many of us have played with this product, so any comments, good or bad, will help those who are thinking about using this stuff.
Pete

DanRaitz

Have you guys noticed any shrinkage and fogging using the Realistic Water? I used it on the stores layout and there was some shrinkage of the first pour. I thinned the next pours half and half with distilled water and had a fogging problem. The fogging cleared up after about a week. I'll post some photo's later, have take some new shots on Monday.

Dan Raitz
Escondido, CA

Ben H

Yes I like it - nice job.

Gives a very real natural look to the wet and dry rocks.

Your trestle is real right on ties in nicely with the scenery you have developed around it

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Here are some photos of the water fall I made on my layout using this product.

Attachments

• waterfall 2.jpg
    waterfall 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 247

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
And here is another. I also used WS Water Effects.

Attachments

• waterfall 4.jpg
    waterfall 4.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 237

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Have you guys noticed any shrinkage and fogging using the Realistic Water? I used it on the stores layout and there was some shrinkage of the first pour

Dan,
Now that the second pour has set up, the shrinkage is defined by a "lowering of the water level" between the rocks.
Was the shrinkage reduced by thinning with water? I would suspect that the surface tension would be less with a thinner medium, but I would also suspect the shrinkage to be greater because of evaporation of the water.
I will have to do another pour, and see what happens.
Pete

cpr_paul

I've used the stuff, and I really like it - although it didn't turn out the best for me. I had fogging too, but it went away eventually.

For me, the best thing about this product is that it doesn't STINK to high heaven! A big consideration when you're in a 600sq. ft. apartment, and aren't the only occupant!

DanRaitz

Pete,

The majority of the shrinkage came on the first pour, which was straight from the bottle. All later pours were thinned and on those pours I didn't noticed the amount of shrinking as on the first one.

Dan

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Dan,
Thanks for that information on shrinkage. I'll thin the next pour, and see how it turns out. Where I want to add some details (like fish), it might be better to have the "water" thinner.

T.
The engine, a Bachmann/Athearn kitbash, is a work in progress, as is the diorama.

Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Pete, love the trestle & the water looks excellent as well. Where are the swans?:D
Shamus
wink.gif

Hi Pete,

It won't be until summer that I will be able to send pictures. I hav'nt got into that yet. The boy will be up here for vacation so I will be buying the equipment then. He is a wizz with one of these things and I'm surely not. I may also play around with thinning the product. I'm still not real happy with the bottom I have painted so going to full around with that somemore. With there first product I used different colors of fine turf on a slate gray base and it turned out great. This stuff is a whole lot different as it seems to suck the turf to the surface. I'll keep fooling with it and let you know how it turns out. Ron :confused: