Woodland Scenics rock molds

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Heya all,
I've been using my Woodland Scenics rock molds for many years now and they are starting to get a little sticky. By this I mean that the rocks don't just pop out anymore - they have to be persuaded to leave the mold. I thought that if I took a toothbrush and cleaned out all the hydrocal residue real good that they would return to normal but that lasted just a couple times and they are back to being sticky again. Do you pre spray anything on your molds to help them release the hardened rock? And if so, does that affect the way the mold receives paint?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
A method that Bragdon Enterprises shows in their video on using their rock molds suggest making a mold release with pertoleum jelly (aka-vaseline) and white laquer paint in a spray can. What they do is rub the vaseline into the mold until it disappears. Then you spray the mold with the white laquer paint. As the paint dries it is suppose to react with the petroleum jelly and create a mold release. When you pour the plaster into the mold and it sets up the casting should pop out easily. Just shoot the laquer outside or in a spray booth because it is toxic.

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
Are you pre-spraying your rock molds with anything at all?
I use wet-water (water with a couple drops of dishwashing liquid) and the rocks pop right out. Just spray the mold right before pouring the hydrocal.

MDShepherd

Dec 19, 2006
Dragon said:
Are you pre-spraying your rock molds with anything at all?
I use wet-water (water with a couple drops of dishwashing liquid) and the rocks pop right out. Just spray the mold right before pouring the hydrocal.

Hmmm... As oppose to “Dry-Water” :)