Wooden Rolling Stock Kits?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rayfey, Dec 14, 2004.

1. rayfey

rayfey New Member

Is anyone manufacturing rolling stock kits made from milled basswood in the style of Northeast Scale Products or (even earlier) Ambroid? I saw some in Walthers but they were pre painted and had plastic parts.

I spoke with the individuals who owned Northeast back in the 80's, and they told me that they had sold that component of the business but had no info on how I could get in touch. Any ideas?

Am really interested in obtaining certain parts (metal castings) that were included in these kits, and am willing to pay a premium.
  2. jetrock

jetrock Member

Labelle has magnificent all-wooden kits:

Typically these kits are sold without couplers or trucks but those are available. As the saying goes, "If you want to learn how to scratchbuild wooden cars, build a LaBelle kit."
  3. rayfey

rayfey New Member

Thanks very much. I just sent them an e-mail.

I've built many wooden kits (including one from LaBelle). Most were from Northeastern, which isn't making them anymore.

I am in the process of restoring a caboose built by my father over 40 years ago (I believe it was an Ambroid kit with detailed interior). I need the castings that make up the platform/steps.

I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again!
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Wow, those look really nice jetrock! Thanks for the link. :thumb:

5. jetrock

jetrock Member

Ah, rayfey, I see...I'm still a bit intimidated by the twe (as-yet-unbuilt) Labelle kits that I own! I have built wooden structure kits before, but am still intimidated by the thought of building a wooden kit that actually moves. But I'm going to build one Real Soon Now...

Have you checked the Walthers catalog "superdetailing parts" section, or Precision Scale Co'.s catalogs? A lot of after-market castings (maybe not exactly the same, but close) are available for things like caboose platforms/steps. One has to pay for the PSC catalog, but it's pretty huge...

the only other thing I can think of is checking train shows for the same Ambroid kit--they do pop up once in a while--but just substituting a new casting would probably be simpler and cheaper.

Interested to hear how the project goes.
  6. acmerailsupply

acmerailsupply New Member

Caboose parts

Email me and I will send you a pair of End/step castings, I don't want to leave my address here. I enjoy building these models as well and find them on ebay. The only mfg. still out there is Labelle. The best kits in my opinion are ones by Scottia, CRM, HD (and Central Valley for early cars), all of these are Northeastern wood model kits. Regards, Steve