Wooden Matches

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Here's a good one.... I heard those wooden matches were great for HO lumber, so I bought two boxes of 'em at the dollar store - that's 500 matches. Can I build a rudimentary trestle out of these things and not have it look like, well, crap?

Advice and warnings welcome. And if there's any other things that can be built let me know.

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Yep - bought that already and can't wait to try it out.
Since my trestle will be small (8 or 9" long, curved and 2.5" tall) any assistance with a general design to follow would be good.

thanks you guys.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
MSH, I guess it depends on how prototypical you want the bridge to be. If you want the bridge to look as real as possible, you will need to learn the size of the timbers used, then measure the scale size of your matches. You may be able to use them for parts of the bridge, and use scale dimensional wood for the rest.

Gary

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
msh we both live in the same area but of course that doesn't mean you are modeling around here. If you are I would suggest the following book:
Tallulah Falls Railroad
"A Photographic Remembrance"
by Brian A. Boyd
Fern Creek Publishing
P.O. Box 1322
Clayton GA 30525
$6.95
The TF was a very interesting shortline for a lot of reasons, one of which is it had more trestles per mile of any railroad that I know of. The book has tons of pictures including close-ups. Also interior shots (there is something you don't find everyday)! :D BTW at $7 this book is WAY under priced!

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Not concerned with prototype anything. I simply want to have a curved bridge or trestle that looks decent and adds some variety to my little 4x8. Anyone other than the most demanding RR Modeller won't (shouldn't) even care that it's not exactly to scale as long as it looks good and is a workable representation of the real thing - without attempting to copy it from the molecular level on up.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
These two trestle bridges on my layout were made using the method shown in my article on trestle bridges. Doesn't matter what size you want, the principal is the same.
Shamus

Attachments

• hsb5.jpg
    hsb5.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 175

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
i've been seeing your instructions shamus, but something came up...

what size should i use to buiild a trestle on N scale?

i want to add one, because i will add a some interesting scenery to my layout... and i want some challanges.... :)

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Okay, but how about....

Shamus, once again you're helping me out. It took me a few times but I read through your instructions and think I have a pretty close, but not complete understanding of what to do there.

I guess it can't be made with matches, which was the original purpose of the post.

;)

All kidding aside, at the point it says, "Now here’s why you didn’t knock those track pins all the way home", I get lost. Not knowing some of the terms used, it's a bit hard to follow. Soooooo....

What are the odds you could make a single, simple riser for us all, taking pictures at each step, so we can REALLY see how you work your magic? Just a thought

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Luis,
That depends on what space you have available for a trestle bridge. I made one in N-scale that was 4' long and 12" tall spanning a river bed, so the sky is the limit my friend.
Shamus

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
i want to build one 40 cm long and 3 cms high. but can it be double track?

somewhre there will be a river!!! yeap!!! i want to have great scenery layout!!!!

msh, you had a great idea... let's make shmus post some pics showind how is done... hehehehe

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
msh I wasn't implying you needed to build a perfect protype! I'm a free lancer myself. The pictures would simply give you a good idea of what a trestle looks like and how it goes together, that's all. I doubt if a single one (of the zillion in the book) built as you see them would fit your space anyway. If I offended you I apologize.

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Tyson - you didn't offend one little bit. You know how the written word can be misconstrued. Don't worry about it for a single second. This is supposed to be fun!

And you're right - a big one won't fit. Gonna have to be a little one made for a little 4x8 like mine.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
trestles

Hey msh (mish, mash, or mush)

I'm building a logging road, not for operational logging, but just so I have an excuse to run my shays. I figured I wanted 12-14 inch timbers. I used my scaled ruler to find real size, then went to a craft store and bought that size dowels. I scratched an roughed them up, stained them then built individual units ala Shamus. I put mine on a curve, then used dimentional balsa wood for bracing. worked out real good

Hope that helps a mite

Lynn

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Matches

Hope you got some straight ones:D :D The ones I got with the same idea were crooked and to me weren't uniform enough for a trestle.....but...they make GREAT cribbing around bridge abutments and tunnel portals:D :D :D

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
For N scale I found some Q-tip like thingies at work. Don't know where else to get them, they use them in our lab, for assembling electronics or something. The stick part was wood, about 5-6 in long, and scaled out to about 12-14 in diameter, which will make excellent timbers some day in a trestle, I've promised myself.