Wood Sises Goindola (N Scale)

Drew1125

Wood Sided Gondola (N Scale)

First, I'll show you what I started with...
It's one of those Bachman "Old Tyme" freight cars....

Attachments

• mvc-024f.jpg
    mvc-024f.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 166

Drew1125

Then I made some "wooden" sides out of styrene, added MT archbar trucks, & couplers, & some heavy weathering...

Attachments

• mvc-029f.jpg
    mvc-029f.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 159

Drew1125

Oops!!

Wood Sises Goindola!!!!???
What the hell was that?!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Sorry, shoun't be on here at this un-godly hour!

That's a great looking "goindola" :D

Your weathering is superb. I never would have guessed that the sides are styrene.

I'm beginning to think that some of the very best N scale modelers in the country are right here on the Gauge. Very nicely done.:)

Drew1125

Thanks Casey!
I think I am going to switch to a larger scale keyboard though! :D

Maybe Fisher-Price makes one that I could deal with! :D

Vic

Hey Charlie, That's really neat looking. :) I think B'Man made that same car in HO too. Looks like there may be another NG project in the making.

jon-monon

Hey Charle, that looks great! I have some from MDC (HO) that came with plastic "wood" sides and I was wondering if I should try to make the plastic look like wood, or jsut make new ones out of wood. Wood sure does look like wood, at least to me :D but the plastic ones have grain and nails and would look good. Could you shed some light on how you made the plastic look so real?

I was thinking to just paint the plastic a tan color then paint nail heads and hardware black, then just ues a black wash. The plast semms nice and removable, too, I have a load of John Deere model B's to deliver to P-K impliments before spring!

Drew1125

Thanks again!
Jon,
If you look at the last couple of posts in the "tips 'n tricks" thread, it'll give you an idea of how I rough up styrene to represent wood...
I agree with you though, nothing looks more like wood than wood, & if I was working in HO, I'd probably be more inclined to use real wood. But I've got lots of styrene on hand, & a lot of the scale lumber is too large to use in N scale.

jon-monon

Thanks Charlie, I didn't realize you had already answered my question! I think if I can do a good job with the plastic, the overall effect may prove better than real wood, because of the detail parts. I'm gunna give it a try anywho :)

Drew1125

Thanks Tyson!
That means a lot coming from you!

Y'know,
It's funny, but building that one car has got me toying with the idea for a whole new layout! :rolleyes: :eek: :D
Maybe more on that later...?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Charlie,
Having dabbled in N scale, I can appreciate the work that went into that gon. Hats off to you sir, that's some nice work!
Pete

Charlie,
I have one of those B/mann flat cars. Been looking and looking at it for nigh on 5 yrs now wondering why I ever bought it!!!
You're superb model is now in my archives to remind me of how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! :D :D

Wanna swap a pair of MT archbar truck/couplers for a pair of bettendorf ones?? .. :)

That's a really nice model you've made there! It has real character.

Errol