wood glue

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by refitz, Aug 25, 2006.

1. refitz

refitz New Member

I have seen several places that suggest using wood glue.I would like to know if anyone has tried it and your redults also why
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have heard is tackier but never tried it myself. Will prolly give it a try on something simple at some point.
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I use titebond brand wood glue.

I posted a thread on it a while back. I like it because it dries faster than regular elmers........... and heck paper is nothing more than wood pulp anyway. I HAVE NOT tried it on the photopaper, I use cardstock from Wally World for 99% of my builds.

I do ALOT of woodworking so I have plenty around. It is NOT as tacky as elinee's but it dries much faster so the less clamp time makes up for the not as tacky thing...................IMHO

4. 46rob

46rob Member

White wood glue, like Elmers, Titebond, etc is excellent for paper, as John says. It also has the property of slightly swelling the paper when dampened by it (water based), and then shrinking slightly as it dries. this allows you to get an extra pit of curvature, when gluing fuselage sections together. the downside, is that if you want something to lie straight--it has to be held in place with clamps until it's dry. Except for a bit of CA on tricky little parts--it's all I use. Cheap, too.
  5. hpept

hpept Member

I've used aliphatic glue (type used by dynamic aircraft builders) with some success. It bonds very well, just a little slower in setting compared to white glue. A possible withdraw is that when dry is not completely transparent but leaves a yellowish tint so you must be very careful when applying, cause any excessive stain will show. I suggest you to try it, it may fill your needs if you want strong bonding.
  6. Ron

Ron Member

Hi guys,

Here in Canada, there's a company by the name of Frank T. Ross and Co.
    that manufactures a ton of different glues. They make a dedicated white paper glue that works well with minimal paper distortion for it's kind. Then there's this stuff. The Weldbond glue dries crystal clear, doesn't swell the paper
    nor discolor it. One has to hustle with it as it dries fast as heck. Glues up those pesky canopies as well

All the best

Attached Files:

7. Maurice

Maurice Member

8. Ron

Ron Member

Hi Maurice :)
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Good to see ya back, Ron 8v)

10. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I use 'EVO Stick' 'Super EVO Bond PVA' I think it is meant for sealing paintwork and plaster ready for painting or wall paper. However as it was the only white glue in the house I tried it on a card model, and I must say I wouldn't use anything else. It has a strange characteristic in that it grabs quicker when it is still wet, the tackier it gets the slower it grabs. When it is wet, if two surfaces are brought together quickly while it is still wet and held and not moved at all it will grab almost as quickly as CA. It does dry very quickly though so you have to work quickly, but it suits me just fine.
  11. Ron

Ron Member

Thanks Ash, Good to see you too :)

12. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Roland....

This is all I have ever used...

......... Looks like I'll be using it for quite a while yet....!!
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Ron..............welcome back!

Im trying out elmer's PROBOND glue now............ it's an interior/exterior wood glue............ so far ao good!

it's says on the bottle it's "weatherproof non-run gel stainable fast tack" and they are right! Imagine that.