Wood cars?

Justin

Does anybody know if any mfg. make cars that are supossed to replicate a wood car? One that is made of plastic? Or better yet, scale drwaings of cars built of wood? Either one is great!:wave:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Accurail outside braced wooden boxcars look pretty good to me. THey are available with wither metal or wood ends as well.

There are a number of other manufacturers who make wooden boxcars - some from styrene/plastic, some in resin, and some in actual wood...! ;) :D

MR and other magazines have published drawings of many different cars over the years. Can you narrow your search, and maybe try the "Index of Magazines" at www.trains.com to see if they published the one(s) you want.

Andrew

pgandw

Almost the entire new Roundhouse line is plastic models of wood cars. They are no longer made in kits, though. :cry: You can still find the older production Roundhouse kits on eBay and other places.

As Andrew pointed out, there also resin and wood kits of wood cars.

yours in training

Russ Bellinis

Westerfield & Sunshine Models make high end resin kits. They probably have models that replicate wood. MDC/Roundhouse makes a number of models replicating wood, particularly in their "Old Timer" line. Athearn makes wood ice reefers, I don't remember if they make a wood boxcar or not. As Andrew says, you need to decide on an era and then do some research to see exactly what is available. You can also scratch build a model of a car type out of wood. Kadee offers trucks to replicate the most common truck styles back to about 1890 or so.

doctorwayne

There are lots of wood (usually styrene simulations) cars available.
Note: most of mine have been modified with extra details, and most are custom painted.;)
Here are a few examples:

Train Miniature (now Walthers) 40' single sheathed boxcar
fresh_foe-toes_006.jpg

Athearn 40' wood sheathed refrigerator car
fresh_foe-toes_007.jpg

Red Caboose 40' wood sheathed refrigerator car
fresh_foe-toes_005.jpg

Accurail 40' USRA double sheathed boxcar
2007-01-10_311.jpg

Accurail 40' single sheathed 9 panel boxcar
2007-01-10_305.jpg

Accurail 40' single sheathed 6 panel boxcar (at right)
100_5635.JPG

Proto1000 36' Fowler Patent boxcar
2007-01-10_301.jpg

Train Miniature (now Walthers) 40' USRA double sheathed boxcar
2007-01-10_293.jpg

Intermountain 40' composite gondola
2007-01-10_446.jpg

LifeLike (not Proto) 36' double sheathed refrigerator car
100_55051.JPG

Athearn 50' double sheathed express reefer
100_5610.JPG

Train Miniature (now Walthers) 40' double sheathed refrigerator car
100_5623.JPG

Walthers (the car to the right) 50' single sheathed doubledoor boxcar
100_54041.JPG

Accurail 40' double sheathed refrigerator car
100_5854.JPG

Tichy 50' War Emergency composite gondola (the Wabash car)
100_5768.JPG

MDC (Roundhouse) 36' double sheathed boxcar (made from a 36' truss rod reefer)
100_5536.JPG

Tyco 40' double sheathed refrigerator car (the Grand Valley Export car, to the right)
Train_Brain_232.jpg

MDC (Roundhouse) 80' wood combine (also available, a Pullman, diner, and observation)
Train_Brain_071.jpg

MDC (Roundhouse) 55' postal/baggage
100_5539.JPG

MDC (Roundhouse) 55' combine
100_5541.JPG

MDC (Roundhouse) 55' coach
100_5542.JPG

Sylvan wood caboose (resin kit)
100_5634.JPG

Walthers also offers several different styles of wooden cabooses. Hope this helps with your search. :D :D

Wayne

steamhead

Hi,
There's a company called "The Ol' Huff and Puff" that makes wood car kits. The're a mixture of wood and metal parts. I've built several and couldn't be more pleased...!!! :D

Iron Goat

Wayne... your photography and modeling are out of this world !!! Your attention to even the smallest of details is phenominal...

Bob

Glen Haasdyk

As wayne has thoughly shown plasic wood cars are plentiful, you just have to know where to look. I like real wood to represent wood on cars. Older manufacters used wood almost exclusivly in their kits. Juneco is one of my favorites since they deal in Canadian prototypes. I've built a 36' boxcar and a wood gondola from their company. Currently I'm working on a CNR express reefer.
Wayne, I really like the Syvan caboose.

doctorwayne

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. :)
Glen, that Sylvan caboose was one of two that I built. Cn nutbar got the complete one, while mine needed a few scratchbuilt parts to replace some that I had accidently destroyed. :eek:ops: :eek:ops: Sylvan recommended, besides their own cleaner, Diosol for removing the mould release from the resin castings, so I felt safe in substituting lacquer thinner in place of the Diosol. While it worked well for the larger parts, several of the more delicate pieces were either damaged or destroyed after only several seconds in the lacquer thinner. I salvaged enough to complete one caboose, while mine needed some work, mainly on the window frames. If you look closely at the photo, the cupola windows are modelled "open", as was the window near the right end of the main body. (The latter one is partially obscured by the window screen - several of those also had to be re-done in styrene.) If I recall correctly, I also had to make all four screen doors new, from styrene, as the originals were too warped to use. I used a scrap of silk screening material for the actual screens: one of the screendoors on the end of the car is visible in one of the shots of the other "wood" cars.

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

I'm building a couple resin trucks for the club layout. I've been using a product called 'all-sol' as a mold release cleaner.I just dipped them in for a couple minutes and then transfered them to some warm soapy water, no damage to the parts and Although I haven't painted them yet the acc that I used holds the sub-assemblies together just fine. Now that the weather is starting to warm up I'll probably paint them soon.

doctorwayne

I almost forgot to mention: that Intermountain composite gondola is a plastic kit, but the floor and wooden sides are actual laser-cut-and-etched wood.

Wayne