Wood Box Car?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Play-Doh, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

Hey Guys!

I would like to dominate my MRR with 40' wood sided boxcars. Now im not referring to the wood style with steel "Supports" im looking for the all wood sided ones...like this.

And sadly im having a devil of a time finding them on walthers or other websites. Im looking for either blank/unlettered or UP.

I dont think this would be that hard to find....am I calling them the wrong thing? Is their a specific name for these?

Any help would be great!

2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi...Try "Ye Olde Huff-N- Puff" company. They sell mostly old timers in real wood and metal.

Good luck..!!
  3. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

There are quite a few manufacturers of wood-sheathed box cars in HO. The pic in the link you gave has steel ends and a steel underframe.

Roundhouse has wood box cars with steel underframes in their Old Timer series. They also have wood underframe versions with truss rods. I don't know of other plastic kit manufacturers but I would check lines like Bowser, Red Caboose, Tichy, and AccuRail.

Westerfield and F&C make some very nice resin kits of box cars of this era. These were in the Walters catalog.

Labell and Ye Olde Huff-N-Puff make wood kits of box cars of this era.

4. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

5. Jac's Lines

Jac's Lines Member

Look for "double sheath", "double sheathed" or "ds" in your keywords at walthers. Accurail for sure offers them, the direct link is at:

The Accurail product is quite good and reasonable in price. If you're feeling ambitious, the double sheathed ones would be reasonably easy to scratch if you have an Accurail model to use as a plan.

6. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

Thanks guys!!! You are the best!
  7. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

The Accurail cars have external steel bracing. I believe you said " you didn't want that". Roundhouse has/had the older 36 foot boxcars,stock cars and wood reefers. There should be a lot of them still in hobby shops. The Accurail car kits with external bracing are great kits and have good wood grain detail.
  8. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Here's an Accurail USRA double sheathed 40' boxcar. This one has "steel" ends. This particular car was purchased undecorated, and I've replaced the cast-on grabirons and drop steps with metal parts.

If you're looking for an exact model of the car in your link, which appears to be a narrow gauge 36' boxcar, you may have to look elswhere.;)