Wiring

Limey

Jan 9, 2006
I am a new railway modeller and have just laid my track. My control is the Gaugemaster PA and is working well (only one loco at the moment). My next step is wiring up the turnouts and displaying them on an indicator board, but at the moment can find no useful wiring diagrams. Can any point me in the right direction

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I'm sorry - you didn't provide enough information to help. Model railroading has many control options these days, not all of which are wired the same.

I don't know what a Gaugemaster PA is. I would need to know whether it is a DCC controller, or conventional DC, or possibly something else.

What scale are you working in, and what make of turnouts are you using? What make/model switch machines are you using, and how do you want/intend to control them? Are you looking for a central control panel, or several local panels?

yours in wiring

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
After further reflection, seeing as your posted in the DCC section, is the Gaugemaster PA the same as an MRC Prodigy Advance?

Turnouts can be controlled through DCC, but that requires stationary or function decoders in addition to the switch machines. Also, not being familiar with the Prodigy Advance, would have to know whether it is capable of addressing these decoders.

Many who have DCC just control their turnouts the conventional way, using push buttons or toggle switches (type of toggle depends on type of switch machine), without involving the DCC.

It's your choice.

Limey

Jan 9, 2006
My control sytem is DCC. It is a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance system which is starting to take off here in the UK. I am using Peco Streamline track and am looking for information on wiring in the turnout motors and signals. I am also keen to show the position of the turnouts on an indicator possibly using leds. Thanks for your reply.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think every dcc chip you use reduces the amount of power you will have available to run trains. I would suggest conventional power for turnouts. If you use a central cab, put your turnout controls in the panel. If you use a walk around control system, put the switch toggles in the layout fascia near the turnouts they would control.

caellis

Jul 28, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I use Tortise machines with NCE Switch-It devices. This permits me to operate the switches using either my DCC CAB(Lenz) or normally open push buttons mounted on the facia.

The Switch-It devices do not provide feed back to the DCC so that limits automation somewhat.

But the cost is reasonable. Two switches(Turnouts) can be separately controlled with each Switch-It. They are wired in series with the track power and the Tortise machines.

The cost is about $10.00 per Tortise. I use both the DCC CAB method and push buttons