Wiring woes

Hi guys-I could really use some help.After reading Andy Sperandeo's book on wiring a layout and replies I have gotten on other forums I am still rather confused to the point that I am ready to throw in the towel and have one big diorama.
Here are the issues as I see them-
1.I am using Peco small radius insulfrog turnouts which I have been told are power routing turnouts.That being said it was suggested that 4-5 feeders would be enough for a layout my size-2'x8'.
2.However in the book it says that where two turnouts meet frog to frog,insulated rail joiners need to be inserted to avoid shorts and for power routing turnouts power is fed from the point side.Is this the case with the insulfrog turnout?Are insulated joiners necessary?
3.I am putting up 2 copies of the track plan-one showing where I think the insulated joiners should and the other feeder locations.I'm sure I don't have it right which is why I could really use some help
gaps-1.jpg

feeders-2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that can help me shed some light on this so that when the times comes to actually wire this thing there won't be any guess work-Bobwall1

Tom-Thanks.Is that one gap or two?
Now to complicate the matter.As I mentioned I am using Peco insulfrog turnouts which I have been told are power routing and that yes you would need gaps where turnouts meet frog to frog and power would be fed from the point sides.However in Andy Sperandeo's book on wiring he states that turnouts with insulated frogs are all power turnouts and all that is needed are feeders and turnouts that don't have insulated frogs are power routing turnouts and those are the ones that need the gaps.
Now you can see why I'm so confused.If you ask me I think what I have are all power turnouts not power routing.Any thoughts?Bobwall1wall1

FiatFan

Bob, the way to determine the type of turnout is easiest if you have access to some type of circuit tester. I use a cheapie $10 multimeter. Set it to measure ohms. Apply one lead to the stock rail and the other lead on the corresponding rail after the points. The needle should swing all the way to the right. If you move the points away from the stock rail and the meter drops back to zero, you have a power routing turnout.

As far as the diagram, with the number of feeders you have, I would put a gap in both rails.

Hope this helps.

Tom

wiring

Tom-thanks again.Just to satisfy my own curiosity I sent an e-mail to Peco and asked-after all they should know.I'll let you know how I make out.Needless to say wiring is not my thing.Bob

pgandw

Andy Sperando's book assumes classic turnout wiring. Atlas makes all routes powered, period - with an insulated frog. Old Walters/Shinohara and Peco Electrofrog (perhaps? I have different reports even on Peco Electrofrogs) are classic power routing turnouts.

Peco Insulfrog are a different animal, and I have seen a lot of disagreements and/or mis-statements as to how they are wired internally. Consulting Peco for correct info is probably a wise move. I personally have never used Peco turnouts so I cannot state anything with authority in the face of so much disagreement. Unfortunately, to use a product that doesn't conform to the classic wiring instructions, you will have to spend a little time learning wiring.

Not what you wanted to hear.

wiring

Fred-Thanks-I'm still waiting to hear from Peco but I found the literature that came with the turnouts and it states that they are self insulating and ready to go right out of the box.It goes on to say that to feed power from the toe end of the turnout-not sure what they mean by that but I'll assume for now it is the point end.The literature also went on to say that the only time(s) you would need insulated joiners would be for slip switches,reverse loops,etc.So based on that info it sounds like they are all power turnouts but I'll wait to hear from Peco.If so it would mean all I would have top do is add feeders.I'll let you know what I learn from Peco-Bob:cry: