Wiring, the old way

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by dhutch, Jan 1, 2005.

1. dhutch

dhutch Member

Although i runn all my trains DCC, i have deided, for now, that i will wire the points "the old way"

-There are 9 points on the main layout, and about 14 in the yard.
    -The swiches will be DPDT sprung center off toggles, mounded on a track diagram.
    -The will be powered from a suitably large powersuppliy, with suitable large smoothing capaciters, so i wond be using any CDUs.

but i never seen what other people have done "under the base board", so i gpt a few questions

- firstly, do people normaly common together one side of the point motor coils?

- also, what wire do poeple usally use. do you usally use solid core or stranded?

and does anyone have and photos or layout switch boards (where you have all the switches mounted onto a track diagram) - becuase i think that would help my know what i need to make.

thanks, daniel.
  2. bandit

bandit New Member

use a single common wire to all coils using 18 guage stranded wire. less is better.
  3. dhutch

dhutch Member

Yeah, i though commoning them made sence

- what guage do you use for the induvidal wires?
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

unless you hook more than one switch machine to a (n electrical) switch, you can use the same gauge wire on both sides of the circuit. Even if you wire both points of a crossover, the 18 should be enough. Are you going to have multiple operators, where you might have several throwing switches at once?
    My only feeling on stranded vs solid wire is that stranded should be used where the wire will be flexed, e.g. pickups from bogies, loco tender connections and wires to mobile control panels.
    I suggest that you daisy-chain the controls together. Power wire goes to first toggle, then a wire from that post to the next toggle. Neater and easier than trying to tie 23 wires together!
    I decline to show the back of my control panel -- even I have that much pride.
  5. dhutch

dhutch Member

OK, and if im using awg 18 (o.8mm) for the commoned, then 0.6mm (just over awg20, which is 0.5mm) should be fine for the induvidual wires, even for long lenghts (not more than 8foot)

- and, from what 60103 sayed, i should use soild core for all the stuff that just tacked under the layout, and then straned for few that go over the hinge between the two halfs (i've probable put a conector in there as well)
  6. dhutch

dhutch Member

also, while where talking about wiring, the layout is wired with a "ringmain" (DCC) using what i think is about 1mm (awg16) stranded, with stranded droper wires which are i think 0.8mm (awg18)

- i plan to use the 1mm (or whatever it attually is) for the "ringmain" becuase i like it, and i have lots i can use, but i was wondering if when i do the yard i could get away with using soild 0.6mm for the droppers, becuase its smaller and less noticable. There shouldnt be any problems with using the thiner wire should there, there will only be on loco and any section at any one time, and the droped wont be longer then 6', with most of them only beeing about half that.

thanks, daniel
  7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Basic electronics-101, current flow in a conductor.

current flows on the outside surface of a conductor. the more conductors(wires) the more current flows, so........for high current applications, stranded wire is better than solid.
    ( why?..you ask.......electromagnetics, and a whole bunch of strange matematics, that's why.)
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I didn't say you SHOULD use solid. I gave an example where you should use stranded.
    I'm not sure about your wire sizes -- I need to get out the micrometer and measure some.
    If you only change one point at a time (or one set) and don't go holding down four pushbuttons with each hand, I think you should use the same wire both ways. But if you have one section where you change 4 points with a button and others where you change them one at a time, the 4 points might require a larger wire both ways, and you could hook the other point motors up to the return. (Clear as mud?)
    6 feet sounds a little long for the droppers; I only use them to go under the baseboard and then up to the full wire. Except in those places where I've used telephone wire right back to the panel. (I'm only using DC)
  9. dhutch

dhutch Member

The wire size convertions where from some website. As for if im only switching point one at a time the common doesnt need to be biger then the induvidual wires, makes sence. I think i'll get a couple of rolls of the stranded 0.6mm2 wire.

- also the dropers are 6", not 6foot!!!! (sorry, im used to metre and have never been great at the 6" Vs 6' thing!!)

10. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Ohhhh! I just can't resist....." sorry im used to metre and have never been great at the 6' vs 6" thing!!!"

You need 12 ("s) to make 1 (') and 3 ('s) to make a yard, but you'll also need some turnouts, along with the ('s), or 36 ("s) to make that yard.
    ( ::::::::::::::: ), those? oh yeah, that's my last month's meds! :oops:
    :D :D :D OK, OK, I'll go to my room now......
  11. dhutch

dhutch Member

yeah, i know that!!
  12. dhutch

dhutch Member

Also, i was talking to my dad, and thinking about various cables/sockets i could use across the join, and we where just talking about using a PC printer (parralel cable) with a pannel mouted Parralel socket (with ribbon cable atached) i had kicking, and we (i) suddenly thought, why dont i just use a lenght of ribbon cable!! I could just Peal off a pair of wires for each point motor as the ribbon cable runs along the lenght of the yard, and the had it terminate at a centronics socket (which would clamp directly onto the ribbon cable) from which i could run antherlength of cable across the join and upto the control pannel
    - and while im at it i'll put in a plug/socket for the two power cables (the power to the controler, and the return to the yard)

The cable, avalable in 4,6,8,10,12,16,20,24,30 wide, eather gray or rainbow
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Male and female centronics plugs/sockets

And the Speckon 4pole conectors for the power.