Wiring my layout.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by davev, Feb 13, 2008.

1. davev

davev New Member

I'm new at this so please be kind. My layout is going to consist of an oval of 25' long 10' wide of fast track. I will be running the new lionel big boy. The transformer I bought is the 180 watt powerhouse also the tmcc track power controller. Also I have the legacy control system. Can I just hook up the wires to the terminal section or do I have to run wire to at least three other parts of the layout? If so where do I run the three extra sets of wires to the terminal section or the tmcc? Thanks
  2. wrmcclellan

wrmcclellan Member

For a loop of track that size, I advise you to have a power connection (track feeder) to your track about every 6 - 10 feet. This depends on how tight the connectors on your Fastrack. Run your track feeders back to the two terminals (A or D and U on the New ZW) on the transformer. A or D is to the center rail and U is for the outer rails.

A "star" or "hub and spoke" pattern work well. Hub and spoke very simple representation shown below. Imagine the track as a loop that crosses the end of each feeder.

Go look at this post I did over on CTT forum to see a representation of the track drops I am talking about (This forum s/w will not accommodate spaces to directly post the same wiring scheme here)

Re: Some Basic MTH DCS questions - Trains.com Forums

You only need to tie the output terminal of the Legacy controller to the U (common post - that connects to the outer rails) of the ZW. TMCC and Legacy use the track common/outer rails as an antenna to broadcast to the loco.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

3. davev

davev New Member

Thanks for the reply.