Wiring LED's for the first time.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Did I do it right?

DSC01672.JPG

Following the instructions on the Tony's Train site, The blue wire is the common wire (or +) while the yellow or white is the return wire ( or - ). According the schematic in the article the resistor is soldered to the common wire and then to the + lead on the LED. I also used a small metal clamp inbetween the LED and the areas to be soldered as a heat sink. Plus it also acted as a little holder for the LED.

The wires are not insulated yet. I wanted to show you guys and see if I'd done it right or messed up. I'd try it on a test track, except that my DCC system hasn't arrived in the mail yet. :grin:

The LED's are 3mm that came with resistors for working 12v. They came together as a set labelled "AMBER MEGA BRIGHT".

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Looks good to me. Just in case you don't know, the resistor does not have to be soldered directly to the led. There can be a wire running from the resistor to the led.

Loren

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
It doesn't actually matter which lead the resistor is soldered on, I'd lean toward putting it on the return, since there will not be anything else on that line, but there could be other wires to the common. But that's a lit to pick. As long as the common is on the + side of the LED you are good to go!

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
As if for my own benefit, I also took a photo of the other end but never bothered to post it as well. Good thing I went back and looked at as I just noticed my mistake this morning...

DSC01673.JPG

The common wire is not on the + lead which I shortened to make room for the resistor. Guess, I'll have to go back and fix that one. oops!

sign1

Thank you for the comments Gents!