Wiring Automatic Crossing for DCC

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
I purchased a Tomar HO Signal Crossing set (H-862; no gates, just lights - very nice model). I also purchased a Walthers HO Crossing Signal Controller (933-2307). It is designed for a DC layout and says don't connect it to a DCC layout. I was aware of this when I purchased it.

I have a DCC layout but figured once I got the stuff I'd find help here on the Gauge to convert it.

I requires 19VAC and to be connected to the track. I'm fine providing 19VAC but what's a safe way to replicate the track DC and does it really need to sense our pull voltage on the track relative to a train passing through? The sensors that are placed between the ties are wired specific connector sites on the exterior of the controller.

Can I supply the track voltage via a wall adapter that puts out 3 or 4 VDC?

THANKS in advance!

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
I just read some fine print - "track polarity determines which sensors are active. Hmmm.

I just called Tomar and ordered the Logic Rails system they recommend. Didn't see that at Walthers.com

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Without knowing anything about the items, other than what is in your post, I would say you need to acquire one or more DCC block occupany detectors (BOD) and trigger the crossing signal from the BODs output, perhaps via a relay between them.