Wiring a O gauge layout

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

My wiring started out to be nice and neat. At first it was simple just track power with drop downs and then six turnouts. I even used different color wire to identify each of the three main lines. Then I had to wire each of the block sections and again I used a color code system.

Then I had to rewire the turnouts so they would operate off another transformer and not the track power. Still I keep things orderly. But then I started to add other accessories and well I didn’t plan for this and that is where the rat’s nest started.

Well after 200 feet of wire I can safely say I have lost track of what wire goes where. I’m sure OSHA would red tag my layout if they ever took a peak below the layout.

Someday I will sort everything out again before I have a major power failure. My only problem was not planning the wirework as well as I planned the layout.

[FONT=&quot]By the way all of those O scale building look cool on the layout and the best thing is that for now everything works great.[/FONT]
  2. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Lets have a look see at all the confusion..
  3. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

ya post some pics of that spaghetti lol
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:) man you guys are cruel. I guess I could do that later tonight. :)
  5. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

I like to run a fairly heavy (16 gauge on a 4x8) bare stranded copper ground wire all the way around near the perimeter of the layout. This serves as my common return for outside rails and the grounded side of accessories. I use lighter to the track lockons and the accessory, and wrap and solder to the copper ground. I then run a 16 gauge red bus wire to various terminal blocks, and then use smaller wire to connect to the track lockons for the center rail feeds (I typically will use 8-10 lockons on 2 loops that I can isolate into blocks when I get to that point). Finally, I run a 16 gauge green bus wire to terminal blocks for constant voltage accessories.

yours in wiring
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Wiring is the one thing I hate most about model railroading.
    I'm still trying to figure out the best way to hook all my lights to a seperate transformer so they won't be a drain on the CW-80.
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I guess it isn't all that bad. :)

Attached Files:

8. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! :eek:

Just kidding. :D

I've seen far worse.
    You should see the back of my computer desk. ;)
  9. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

RENOVO, That's not bad at all, seen a lot worse.
  10. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I'm helping a friend with his layout wiring. Label every wire between every cross member, a lot of work but worth it in the end when you have several red and black wires. :D Like John said, "not that bad."