Wireless Throttle(s)

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
I am definitely planning to go wireless. I'd like to get a throttle/receiver combo that will work with my Lenz Set-100 command station. I definitely DO NOT want the Lenz cordless-phone-to-throttle adapter -- tried it at a friends and bleah.

In fact, i'd like to get a few throttles. At least one "master" throttle with easy access to multiple locos, functions, accessories, etc. (similar to the Lenz LH100, for instance), and one or two "engineers" throttles, that are primarily designed to run one train...

I'm told the NCE system is compatible with Lenz. I've also looked at the CVP system, but I've heard mixed reviews, and not crazy about the throttle itself anyhow.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kris

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Kris,

I use Digitrax most of the time, and have tried all their throttles. I have used Lenz on occasion, so this is just my opinion...

I like the basic Lenz throttle with the knob for speed control. Do not like the push-button type at all... If you have a full-function system/command station, then get the simplest throttle you need. Avoids confusion. For example - I have a Digitrax Zephyr at home, and can do all the decoder programming and so on I need from it. SO I do not need to get a DT-400 (the full feature throttle). I do not have to throw turnouts from the throttle. So with those two points in mind, the basic UT-4 would be good, or UT-4R if I want radio/wireless capability.

Make sure of the compatibility, because unlike decoders, control systems/boosters/throttles from different manufacturers are not necessarily compatible. In fact, they are only compatible when manufacturer "A" makes manufacturer "B"s components - like Lenz making the Atlas DCC set.

Andrew

urbancowboy

May 13, 2004
Barrie, Ontario
www.traintracker.ca
Hi Andrew,

I just wanted to ask you about the Digitrax UT-4R controller. I have the Digitrax Zephyr set and I am interested in going wireless. If I purchase the Digitrax UT-4R is there anything else I would need to purchase to connect it to my Zephyr control box? I've checked the Digitrax site and it doesn't appear as though I need anything extra.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Matt,

If you want to take advantage of the wireless feature instead of plugging it in, you will need a UR-91 - basically the receiver panel. It has one spot to plug in, and will also receive IR and radio signals. It is designed to mount on the facia, but you can put it almost anywhere. At our modular club, we mount them on poles (mostly for better IR reception).

Andrew