wireing servo pack for easy charge

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by rc10gt3jimbo, Dec 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rc10gt3jimbo

rc10gt3jimbo Member

i got a trinity servo pack for my gas truck, the connector it has isnt long enough to reach the reciever where it plugs intojust to double check, it wont hurt any thing if i solder on the old jumper with a switch that came with my truck to the existing connector on the batterybasically it wont hurt ne thing if i have 2 connectors comming off a batteryright, one for going to the car one hanging ready to charge it . since the one powering the car has a switch i should think i can turn the switch to off and be ready for immmidate charge with out disconnecting ne thing sound right ?i just spent 40 $ on my battery i dont wanna screw it up
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

it would be safer to just have one switch to turn the reciever ON and OFF.and when it comes time to charge the battery unplug it from the reciever and plug it into the charger.
    when charging ,be sure the switch on the battery wire is turned ON.if it is off the battery wont be connected to the charger even though it is pluged in.so everytime you charge it...1).unplug the battery from the reciver..2).plug the battery into the charger...3) plug the charger into the outlet on the wall...4)turn the switch to the ON position that is wired on the battery.
    dont solder a jumper or anything like that.you could make a mistake and ruin the battery.if the battery has a plug on it and no switch.just clip one wire splice the two ends and solder them to an ON / OFF switch.if the plug doesnt reach the reciever,clip both wires and add more wire to lenghthen it to reach the reciever by splicing the wires and soldering them together.after they are soldered use good electrical tape to cover what you soldered.you can also do this.....before soldering the wires clip an old antenna straw about an inch long and slip it on the wire far enough away from where you will solder, then solder.after soldering slip the straw over where you solder to cover it.then crazy glue the ends of the straw.
  3. timrock

timrock Active Member

another alternitive would be,wiring two plugs with a 3 way switch.so that when one is turned ON then the other would have to be turned OFF.dont have two plugs coming off the battery(one going to the reciever and one ready to plug into the charger)because if you make a mistake and plug in the charger with out turning the switch OFF going to the reciver,you could ruin the reciver!
  4. rc10gt3jimbo

rc10gt3jimbo Member

dude, im talking going from reciever to backl of the car with a wire with a switch,, that has the standard servo pack connector on it , the battery had a reciever connector on it that was 2 inches short of reaching, and also wouldnt fit into ther one on the wire with a switch , so, i cut the battery wire, stripped both ends, and cut the connector off the old 4 aa cell holder, striped that , soldered all three together, so my battery has two connectors on it a red one for the switch wire, black one for batt charging , if i turn the switxch off no power reaches the reciever so i dont have to disconnect it k, disconnecting it si done by fliping switch, then all i have to do is plug the charge wire included with my trinity servo pack in and flip switch to off position ,, again the battery has 2 connectors on it one is to the reciever which is switched, one is the charge plug un switched, current will foollow the wire go to the switch stop, on the other leg it will follow the unswitched portion and flow in to the battery prousducing an easy way to charge it with out undue wear n tear on yer connectors
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

i understand that, but you must turn the switch OFF that goes to the reciever b4 you turn on the charger.if you dont it can ruin thie reciever.im saying you should have one switch that is a three way (ON when pushed to the left,OFF when in the middle and ON when pushed to the right)this way it is much safer.you could easily ,by mistake , turn the charger on with out turning the reciever switch OFF.that would suck dude.
    but then again,you could also smash it in to a brick wall or a curb or somthing by mistake too.(laughing)so....
  6. timrock

timrock Active Member

those 3way switches have 6 poles on them.if you hook it up right,when on is ON the other is OFF in the OFF position,both will be OFF.you can get a switch like that at www.radioshack.com
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.