Wire mesh

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Darwin, May 2, 2004.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

While wandering around the local Michael's crafts today, I ran across another product that could have application in our hobby. It's aluminum wire mesh in about 2 square foot sheets that is used in clay sculpture as a base for applying thin sheet clay to. What struck me is the diamond-shaped mesh in a couple of different sizes (1/16 inch and 1/8 inch meshes). It looks as if it would work great in the shipbuilding arena for making bedspring type radar arrays, and possibly in some railing applications. For architectural models, it would make a pretty good chain link fence webbing. Might have some applications for military diaoramas as well (camoflage netting, etc.). The brand names are Activ-wire Mesh and WireForm. I found it in the pottery section of the store.
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

Also - how about mesh screens on air intakes and cooling fans on AFV models?

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

The aluminium mesh is greeat for many situations..., another low cost source for the same purpose is available at your local fabric store. It's called Tulle and is available in many different weave sizes allowing for good scale matching. It can be used for Radar Screening, Hammock Netting and Gratings to name but a few applications.

Best regards, Gil