wire and earthenware

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by lizzienewell, Oct 8, 2005.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've been organizing my house and came across some sculptures that I'd set aside due to some problems that I couldn't solve. After working with paper I realized that I knew the solution.
    I've attached a photo of a paper model and the sculpture that I'm finishing. The paper model is on the left and is made of mat board held together with strips of tracing paper.

I initially tried to make the shape out of ceramic and planned to wire together the parts but they didn't go together as planned. Later I made the shape out of paper but still had the original ceramic pieces. Now I am building a wire structure to hold the parts.
    I think this shows how useful paper is in figuring out how to work in other mediums. I couldn't have done it without the paper version.

The wire frame hasn't been completed yet. I am holding it together with masking tape until I've made all the components then I will take the tape off and rebuild it with wire holding the components together.

Attached Files:

2. barry

barry Active Member

Wire frame

Hi Lizzie

You've certainly got more imagination than me, your frame looks as though it is copper wire, why not solder it. Somewhere in the how to section Rob wrote a really good article on doing that sort of thing and basically you only need a $5 iron (that's a guess using UK prices and Europe thinks we are the golden island for adding bits to the price).

Just a thought
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Interesting sculpture. Do you plan to make it a large size suitable for outside display?
  4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I tried soldiering a version of it and found it difficult. It seems to work better to just clamp small pieces of wire around the frame to hold it together. That way I don't have the problem of the solder showing. I'll add solder if the wire on it's own doesn't hold together.

I've been fantazing about a large outdoor version. Concrete and steel would be great or maybe I'll do a temporary version out of ice. Ice would be cool. I could either make waterpoof form to make ice tetrahedrons and stack them or I could make a steel or aluminum frame and spray it with water. With aluminum it wouldn't rust and so I could use it for several winters. With molding the ice tetrahedrons I will have to find that stuff that I think is called cloroplast. It's plastic and looks like corrigated cardboard. I'd tape it with duct tape and then caulk the seams. I'd have to add only a few inches of water at at time or else the expanding ice will break the form.

Ice formed with long skinny balloons or else bicycle inner tubes might also work. The neat thing is that it would melt before I got tired of it.

I think I will try ice before I try concrete.

5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

it must be me, i am seeing kites

one of the more common modular kite designs involve the tetrahedron
    I can picture your design taking off in a high wind

6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

My father worked on, amongst other things in a 40 year career in aviation, the intakes for a proposed son of Concorde, 250-seater, Mach 2.5, etc. He often made models of the proposed structures in paper and card, and they were very popular with his fellow designers. So after a while he started dropping the acronym VLTPM into discussions. Clearly a powerful design tool, as it solved a lot of problems. In fact, soon everyone was talking about it, even those who had never seen the models, or understood the problems, but they were dropping 'VLTPM' into any conversation they could, especially if it meant getting one up!

It was quite some time before anyone asked him what the letters actually stood for.

He let it ride for quite a while, but eventually, set the record straight. It stood for 'Very Low Technology Paper Modelling'.

It still solved the problems, but no-one used the phrase again.....

If it works, don't knock it! The sculptures are fascinating, Lizzie!

Tim P