Wintertime Fun!

O.K. it is too darn cold to work on the race car today. So I'm going to start on a project I have intended to do for quite some time.
My mission?
1.To convert my Accucraft Ruby in to a Forney style Loco. I love this littel engine. It runs great, I just want a loco styled more to my preference.
2. I want to install a radio controll throttel. My back hurts from bending down. Also my railroad is far from level. The R/C will allow me to opperate the loco much better. Rather than adjust the throttle just so.... It makes it up the hills and storms down them at 150 scale mph.
So here are some photos of the Ruby right now. Side tanks are removed and some black paint on the cab.

Hang on! Here We Go!

Attachments

• forney2.jpg
    forney2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 246
This afternoon I dissasembled and degreased the loco. Changed the position of the throttle so the radius of it's throw will work with the r/c servo. Took some measurements. And of course polished some brass!:D You know I could not resist.
Went down to the local giant orange hardware store and got some supplys for tommorow's fabrication.

Now my plan is for r/c controll of the throttle only. I could certainly opperate the johnson bar (reverser). But this little loco gets about 15-20 minutes run time on a full boiler of watter (no tender no feed-water pump, it's pretty bassic). So I won't use it for switching.

Like Live steam? Check this out for fun: http://www.steamup.com/

Tommorrow more photos.

SEE YA!

Progress

Alright, it starts.
It may not look like much yet but it took some time to get the proportions right. Just working fom memory and some photos on the internet. The design is frelance, but based on the forneys from Edaville of old.
Today: -Got the basic measurements figured out. Have to fit the R/C reciever and servo in the "tender bin". Also may stuff the smallest reciever battery pack I can get in there as well.
-Built up the L-brackets to support the "tender bin". Built the floor pan. Soldered the two together.
-Made two sides of the "Tender Bin" and soldered everything together.

Next I have to get the trailing truck fit in and working. Then extend the cab. Make a top for the tender bin.

Photos to follow.

Tomsz

Jul 11, 2004
Looks great! I did that to one of my Rubys also, well I did a little more. I changed the burner to run on Butane/propane so on those cold days the eng. will still run, also I put a water glass on so I could run for hours at a time. Keep up the good work.

Attachments

• 1.5.jpg
    1.5.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 1.6.jpg
    1.6.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 100