Taking in the winter sun;)

Attachments

• cp yard.jpg
    cp yard.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 185

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
You're Welcome

Whenever I see a train go by, I try to get the Unit numbers.

I then do a google search to see what comes up.

I like to know what it is that I am looking at.

The Canadian Pacific Railway Locomotive Roster and Photo Archives has been really helpful for me to learn the differences between different locomotives and their spotting features.

I see a lot of SD 40-2's, a few SD 90's and some AC 4400's on the CP tracks.

There's a few GP 9's that I keep meaning to photograph as well as the local yard goat.

CN tends to run a lot of GP 40-2's in my area.

Without the on-line rosters, I'd be lost. So I try to support them by supplying photos, and boosting them on forums like this.

I really get excited when I see something that I don't recognise. Or something rare, like a CP SD 40-2 snoot... :cool:

K.V.Div

Another one I just had to bring forward. This pic was taken in November of 1984.
I was on leave while in the navy near my hometown of Cranbrook B.C. and we were out scouting for deer.
We saw the daily Nelson-Cranbrook through freight heading north along the Moyie river and were suprised to see the 61 car freight being pulled by GP9 #8701, SD40-2 #6018 and GP9 #8680 in that order.
I had no camera with me, so I decided, since we were heading home anyway, to grab it at home and head to the Cranbrook yard and catch the train when it entered.
By the time I arrived, the power had been cut off and was heading for the service tracks.
It is unusual to see a four year old SD40-2 spliced between a brace of 27 year old Geeps and I can only imagine that whoever it was who put the power together in Nelson, He must have been pretty sore at whoever the crew of that train was :confused: .
However, here is the shot.
Cheers!

Terry

Attachments

• gp 9's 3 shrunk 20%.jpg
    gp 9's 3 shrunk 20%.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 124

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
A nice bit of history captured here Terry. Pleased you went and got your camera. My son served as a "sparker" on the HMCS Yukon based at Esquimalt, then he went to Aldershot but left the navy after that.

K.V.Div

I didn't realize just how many pictures I took between 1979 and 1995 and, in going through them I find that there is indeed a lot of history packed into them.
I look forward to posting more, however, as my wife is the one scanning them for me, I have to be carefull, as I don't overload her with too many at once. :)
Robin, although I was a Bosn, I did know many radiomen (sparkers) and, while I didn't serve on HMCS Yukon except for two month long training periods in 1978 and 1983, I did serve 9 years in the same squadron aboard HMCS Qu'Appelle from 1976 untill 1985.
Cheers!

Terry