winter scenery

dottney

Dec 16, 2006
I'm just getting back into model rr'ing after a hiatus of about 8 years. The layout I'm working on is a small switching layout in HO and I'd like to make it a winter theme. While surfing the world wild web I've come across a couple of Z scale layouts with great winter scenes. But doing searches looking for model rr winter or snow scenes I haven't found too many pics. Does anyone have links to pics with winter scenes on model rr's , any scale, with winter/snow themes?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
dottney said:
I'm just getting back into model rr'ing after a hiatus of about 8 years. The layout I'm working on is a small switching layout in HO and I'd like to make it a winter theme. While surfing the world wild web I've come across a couple of Z scale layouts with great winter scenes. But doing searches looking for model rr winter or snow scenes I haven't found too many pics. Does anyone have links to pics with winter scenes on model rr's , any scale, with winter/snow themes?
Thanks in advance,
Dave
Hi Dave,
About 25% of my layout is dedicated to winter scenery -- and it is my favorite part. I have photos posted in the Gallery, under Pond Junction and Rocky Creek RR. The snow scenes are near the end.
I hope you can get "working" soon on your layout!
Peter

dottney

Dec 16, 2006
Peter,
Nice job, I particularly like the stone bridges. What did you use for snow and is it glued down or just sprinkled on?
Dave

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
Thanks, Dave. I used fine plaster of Paris (from an art supply store) -- be careful, not all plaster is pure white. Used a fine sifter from the kitchen... To keep it from flying off, I sealed it with a fine mist of water from an airbrush. The stone bridges are also carved plaster. Be sure to post pics of your progress! Peter

dottney

Dec 16, 2006
Thanks again Peter. I think I'm developing ADD or "half-hiemers" as I keep flipping back and forth on scales. The track is code 100 and I've decided to give some On30 a go. Right now I'm taking the mechanism from an old cheap diesel that I've used in a scratch/conversion interurban I did a number of years ago and am putting it into a new frame I made from lexan. This will be topped with a freelanced boxcab I'm making from styrene.
I still want to do a winter theme so your pics and info will be of great assistance. BTW I stopped in the LHS yesterday to pick up some plastic and saw the latest issue of N-Scale magazine. The cover story is all about modelling a winter layout. The pics are very nice and the info is very good.
When I get something presentable I take some pics.
Again thanks for the help.
Dave

dottney

Dec 16, 2006
Thanks again Peter. I think I'm developing ADD or "half-hiemers" as I keep flipping back and forth on scales. The track is code 100 and I've decided to give some On30 a go. Right now I'm taking the mechanism from an old cheap diesel that I've used in a scratch/conversion interurban I did a number of years ago and am putting it into a new frame I made from lexan. This will be topped with a freelanced boxcab I'm making from styrene.
I still want to do a winter theme so your pics and info will be of great assistance. BTW I stopped in the LHS yesterday to pick up some plastic and saw the latest issue of N-Scale magazine. The cover story is all about modelling a winter layout. The pics are very nice and the info is very good.
When I get something presentable I take some pics.
Again thanks for the help.
Dave

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The best winter scenery I've ever seen was by Rand Hood in Model Railroader a few years ago. He models D & RGW in the Rockies and if memory serves, it was a two part article. I think it was done in the 1990's but I can't remember any closer than that. If you "google" Kalmbach Publishing-Model Railroader", you'll get to their web site. They have a listing of back issues from the 1970's on, and each time you click on an issue you get a synopsis of the main features in the magazine. The back issues are $5.50, older issues may be less. It may be a bit tedious looking through them all, but the articles are well worth it for someone wanting to model a realistic winter scene. Another Gauge member may be able to post the issues I'm referring to.

I just spent some time looking at the Model Railroader wed page, and Jan 1996 has an article "How To Model Winter." It isn't mentioned in the blurb on the contents of Feb. 1996, but if memory serves it was a 2 part article so you would need both issues. I did a second search and found another article titled Modeling a Winter Scene Jan 1980