Winter Project

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
So it seems the place I now work takes Christmas decorations *very* seriously. In fact, my boss suggested I have a train going around my cubicle. So be it.

Does anyone know any good resources for modeling a winter scene. I know Woodlands Scenics makes snow flocking, but what about ballast ??? What about on the roads ???

Anyone ? Anyone ?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have a few back issues of MR that show winter scenes. One particularly nice photo uses about 6 pounds of baking soda dumped on the layout and plowed with business cards...!

I think it was done just for the photo.

Anyway, let me look them up at home and see what they suggest.

Andrew

PS - Happy Birthday!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Tried a PM and a regular email to you...!

I have a few articles, but no way of making them electronic. I will snail mail them to you if you can provide your address.

PM me, or email available through profile.

Andrew

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by rockislandmike
So it seems the place I now work takes Christmas decorations *very* seriously. In fact, my boss suggested I have a train going around my cubicle. So be it.

Does anyone know any good resources for modeling a winter scene. I know Woodlands Scenics makes snow flocking, but what about ballast ??? What about on the roads ???

Anyone ? Anyone ?
Hi Mike!
I envy you man...sounds like a fun place to work!:cool:
I've done a couple of "snow" projects.
I used Dave Frary's "recipe" for acrylic snow, from his book, How To Build Realistic Model RR Scenery.
(all of this stuff can be found at an art supply store)
1 part Titanium White artist acrylic paint
1 part acrylic gel medium
1 part acrylic modeling paste
This is for modeling a permanment snow scene on a working layout.
You don't need to use any other ground cover, other than the "snow". Just prime the scenic base with flat white latex paint, then add the "snow".
You can apply it with a brush, popsickle stick, palette knife, etc...
You can shape & sculpt it to make ruts, tracks, drifts, etc...
To do the track, I filled in the spaces between the ties with Sculptamold, then painted on the snow, so that the roadbed, except for the rails, appeared to be buried in snow.
You can also brush it onto roofs, trees, rocks, any surface where snow might collect (keep in mind though, before you apply it to a structure...this is permanent)

Attachments

• xmas1.jpg
    xmas1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 150