Windows help needed

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Darwin, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

This is kinda off topic, but very on topic regarding ease of accessing my paper model files. I run windows XP. In recent weeks, I have encountered difficulties on startup with the windows explorer screen coming on at least once during the windows startup displaying the System32 folder. Since this was rapidly becoming a major pain in the butt, I dinked around with some of the .exe files that were being implicated in the various dialog boxes encountered along the way. To make a long story short, windows now loads without hitch, but my windows explorer screen no longer comes on at all (I try opening it, it just resets my workbench)....I think I may have hit empty rather than restore on the recycle bin :oops: I managed to do a workaround by finding and installing a copy of 2xplorer, so can once again find and manipulate my 35 gig of hard drive stuff...however, I would like to unscrew what I managed to screw up without :shudder: doing a full reinstall of the OS. Any of you computer gurus know what .exe files are associated with windows explorer so I can see if they are still there and maybe then just restore the missing file rather than frick around with a total reinstall?
  2. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i'm definately no guru to computers unless i have learned it the hard way.
    try "start" "all programs" "accessories" "system tools" "system restore".
    this should restore your system settings. there are recovery options as well. next time you see some lag or difficulties. try to "defrag" first, also a system option. as i said, i'm no expert, but this may help. cheers, c.b.
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

Windows Explorer is in the c:\WINDOWS directory - it's just a simple .exe
    (explorer.exe) which uses the OS dlls for windowing, etc.

4. Darwin

Darwin Member

I'm not sure just what is the problem...restoring the OS to a prior stable point doesn't work, and explorer.exe is still there. At least the 2xplorer works, and appears to be able to empty the recycle bin, among the various other features I've come to depend on. It has to be a missing exe file in the windows32 folder that is bolixing things up. Hopefully, the XP installation disk will be readable so I can do a file-by-file comparison and see what I managed to screw up.
  5. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Have you run any antivirus scans or spyware / adware checks?

As general advice to anyone concerned about spyware / adware, I highly recommend Spybot freeware for finding and removing such applications - any search engine will help you find a copy

6. Darwin

Darwin Member

Yes, just recently scanned for adware (spybot), and my Norton is always on. As I say, I must have inadvertently deleted an executable that I shouldn't outta had. Guess I'll wait until Monday and copy off the executable files from the system32 folder on my work computer, then compare them to the files on the home machine.
  7. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

Explorer is the shell

Explorer as another poster pointed out is simply a single executable,
    explorer.exe in windows main directory. The trouble is, your shell is probably not the Explorer, but the InternetExplorer, by way of Microsoft tying the
    whole mess together using dll shell commands. And when you call up the Explorer, you really get the core of Internet Explorer.
    It's a real mess thanks to Micro$oft.:?

Does Internet Explorer work on your machine?
    Scan for updates, and make sure you have the laest security patches from WindowsUpdate.

:!: WARNING-Do NOT try this if you don't understand the Windows Registry!!!!
    If you know anyone savy local, have them peek at the RUN and RunOnce
    registry keys, to see what is starting up with the machine. Many viri and trojans initiate themselves from the registry. It hides itself from average users that way.

IF you need to fix a virus or trojan, be SURE to disable system restore before doing the scan/repair or else the fix won't take, and system restore will put it all back. (Great idea Microsoft ...NOT) :x
  8. Darwin

Darwin Member

I downloaded and installed the latest version of IE...still no joy. You are probably right about IE being the still doesn't come up. Any attempt to open IE, windows explorer, recycle bin, etc. through the MS OS just results in a resetting of my workbench. Oh, well, look at the bright is the ultimate popup blocker, even if a bit of a pain having to navigate the internals of the computer via third party apps.
  9. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

Computer problem

My brother seems to be having a similar problem.
    (I don't run xp ) and I am going over tonight to have a look at it
    again. I am trying virus scanners like Stinger and looking
    for something comandeering the shell calls.

I will let you know if I find out anything that may help.

10. cardfan

cardfan Member

I don't know if this will help at all, but have you tried a system reset to an earlier time? I had to do this to fix a driver file that had gone to a better place and it worked wonders. It is under system tools in accessories and then system restore. You can pick a day from there. Oh, if this doesn't help... Never mind. :D
  11. Falcon

Falcon Member

Hi Darvin, is the XP cd around? Run it and let it fix or repair itself.

Regards :
  12. dasc62

dasc62 New Member

Did you check Eventviewer? It might give you some clue to what's causing the problem. You can start it by clicking Start, Run, type eventvwr in the box and click OK. Open Application to search for your problem.

David Schiebaan
  13. Ron

Ron Member

I think Falcon might have a point. Try booting from the XP cd and use the repair option. If that fails, there are numerous tools available when you enter the recovery console (also available when booting from the cd) The console is just a prompt based environment but typing 'help' (minus the quotes) should bring up a multiple of commands. I use this almost every week to restore my master boot record etc. after playing with some flavor of linux
    or another. I'm gonna boot into it now and see whats available.

14. gchucky

gchucky Member

Can you open a Command Prompt in the Accessories folder? If you can, type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. This will check the protected windows files. If does not work, the repair option mentioned earlier is the best bet.

15. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

16. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Don't overlook AdAware. It is another free program for cleaning up MalWare. Between AdAware and Spybot you can clean out most viruses, etc.
  17. Kaz

Kaz Member

Not virus' but advertising and mal ware. and yes the two programmes are possibly the best out there.
  18. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Assuming you have the original XP disks, some companies supply the operating system as a hidden partition on the hard drive. Start the windows install disk you should be given the choice of a full install or a system repair.

My guess is that you may have had a virus that was tiring to use your machine as a re-mailer for spam, but I could and most likely be wrong about that.

For spy ware try Microsoft’s Bata spy ware this is the most unobtrusive program that I have used and it is available at no cost. As for a good Anti virus program that does try to take over your system try AVG it is available for download at

Jim Nun
  19. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

man its heppen me the some 6 manch ago
    as a computer and internet guy
    i tray all
    *reinstal win
    *instal linox
    *rigistar repir prog
    *spy wers prog

but nothng

all i see in my folders name is "&%^&$$43243&" = programs file

i think its like in my cas
    just full format will help here but its the risk to lost all the stuf

(i loos 50gb of my projects and some of my moels :( )