windows - glazing and printing

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by logicman, May 10, 2008.

1. logicman

logicman Greybeard

A lot of folks on the forums are asking about how to glaze windows.

I use transparency film specially made for inkjet printers. It is glossy on one side and very lightly frosted on the other. It's almost completely transparent.

It's available in the UK from Staples under their own brand name, part number SL5256.

I have a long-term 'doll's-house' type office block design in progress. I recently moved house, and have only just found where I left my transparency test print.

My method is to print window frames (on the frosted, printable side) which I then use as guides/templates for thin strips of white or coloured paper to give depth to the frames.

If you put the glossy side outwards, you get a brilliance which reflects everything in the room - bad for photo-shoots. The duller side looks more like real-world dusty glass.

Here's two shots, one with a camera, one with a scanner.
    I included the brick panels to give a sense of scale - a real print run would omit them to save ink.

Attached Files:

2. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Thanks for the tip about staples and the part number. I need transparency film for Skips transformer car I'm building. My usual 'paper' shop hasn't any in stock.

The stuff from staples, is it card backed for printing, then the card peals off for use?
  3. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Thanks for the feedback.

There's a peel-off strip at one of the narrow edges for the printer feed mechanism to grab. What's more - it works!

4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Thanks. I'll call in tomorrow.
  5. Yes, this is a good technique. I have been using it for years. Interestingly I use the same product. I had some left over from an overhead presentation (remember those?) that I did years ago.

I get a little flustered with designers who don't provide a clear glass version of their windows and cockpit canopies. I understand that a lot of people like the opaque look but I like you, glaze mine. So, to you designers ,give us clear glass. By the way if there is nothing inside and you still want the clear glass look try puting a piece of grey paper behind it. if you want to get real fancy you can put LED lights inside. (don't use incadescent light bulbs as that is a fire hazard).