Window muntins

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Let me try this again!! (Thanks for the tip Tyson).
I'm in the process of scratchbuilding a flour mill in HO from plans in an old 1976 MR. I was checking out Charlie's plastic mesh tape for drywall that he used for windows, and I was wondering what else could be used since I don't have any of that laying around.
Thanx!!

Matt--Chocolatetown, Pa.

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Matt ; depending on your scale, the amount of '3D' detail you seek, and how far away from the viewer the building will be, there's a way to print window muntins on clear plastic, which can then be used in a building as the glazing itself.
You create a "grid" on a blank worksheet in Microsoft Excel, or Lotus 1-2-3, or similar software. You can vary the size of each 'pane' in the grid to suit your preference. Print off samples on white paper to check your sizing.
Depending on the capability of your printer, you may be able to print directly onto a clear plastic sheet . If not you could print it on white paper and take it to a copy shop to print on to plastic. The plastic sheet used for 'overhead projections' in business presentations is quite common....[so far, until only PowerPoint exists for presentations].
The use of a pale color, like yellow, as the 'glass' portion can also be employed, and is pretty good on an illuminated building.
The windows produced are very similar to the old Suydam kit windows we used to get in the 50's and 60's....not bad from a reasonable distance. Regards/ Mike

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
ceresota four

Matt,
you picked a nice project. Looked at the drawings, you might be able to find Grandt line windows that would work. Also, I recall someone used thread stretched across the frames for muntins. That might be easier now with ACC to hold the thread in place.
Pete

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Ceresota flour mill

Thanks Guys!! oooh the possibilities. Mike: I'll check out your idea 1st. The Grandt line windows were in the back of my mind as I get to a "real" hobby shop only a few times a year. (The closest "best" shop is about an hour's drive from here in Gettysburg, Pa.) and the local shops never seem to have what I want without going thru the Walthers ordering system. And then I have to wait a zillion years for it to arrive. That's why I try to scratchbuild as much as I can when it comes to details.

Matt-Hershey, Pa.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Matt on one of Allen Keller's tapes (believe it was Harry Clark's layout) the gentleman scribes lines on clear plastic then uses a water based (I believe) paint to paint the lines and takes a damp cloth to clean off the excess. Looks good from a medium range on out, don't know if it would look good enough up close to suit you. Also going with Charlie's idea, hardware stores around here sell a wire mesh off the roll by the running foot. A roll is 3 ft. wide so 1 ft. is actually 3ft. x 1 ft. and goes for about 2.49 per ft. and up depending on the size of the grid. It comes in 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 inch openings here. The openings are square, it's a galvanized metal that takes paint and glue well and it's stiff so it holds it's shape good. Around here it's called mechanics wire or mesh and field wire or mesh. Also try www.texnrails.com/ they seem to have a larger inventory of stuff then Walthers and sell for 25% to 35% less. I usually receive my orders in 72 hours or less. they have a online catalog. Hope this helps some! :)

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
ceresota flour mill

Hi Guys!
Wanted to pop back in and say thanks for the window muntin tips for my flour mill. Things came together quickly and the mill is now complete except for some minor details. I settled on the method Tyson described and am happy with the results, though I wouldn't use it for an up close structure.
Well, I'm now off to the workbench. Itchin to get started on some DPM townhouse flats!

Thank You again!!!

Matt--Chocolatetown, Pa.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That's great Matt!
I thought that was a cool idea Tyson had too!
Hey, do you have any pictures you can post for us to oogle over? :)
You HO guys have it easy anyway...
A lot of times us N scalers have to be content with muntons (is that the right word?) that are the size of drainpipes! :D
Good luck with the townhouses, & remember, we'd really like to see what you're up to!

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
pics

Sorry guys; I'de love to show some things about my NYC layout in progress, but I have only a standard 35mm camera and the photos aren't that good to be viewed on a computer. I hope to get a digital camera one of these days, but my wife's cross-stitching hobby eats into the family budget almost as much as my railroad! (i wonder if Santa checks out The Gauge!):rolleyes:

Matt--Chocolatetown, Pa.