Window glazing?

Sarge_7

I have several locos and caboose's that are missing the windows. What are some of the ways to replace these? Thanks

N

nachoman

I use clear plastic that comes as packaging for many items. i cut it to size with scissors, and glue it to the back of the window with white glue. I use white glue because it won't frost the plastic.

Kevin

Sarge_7

Thanks Kevin,:thumb::thumb: I had actually thought of that too.:mrgreen: Thought I read somewhere about another way as well.

steamhead

Hi...I use the clear acetate that comes with the kits, but these suggestions would work OK too. I buff one of the sides with steel wool to avoid that see-right-through look. Since most of my buildings and some cabeese are lighted, this gives a nice even glow to the light. I place the buffed side to the outside. Good luck..!!

Nomad

If you want a dirty, dusty look, you can use wax paper glued on with Aileen's tacky glue or the like. If you carefully scrape the "windshield" with a razor blade using a circular motion, you can simulate where the wipers scrape.

Loren

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
If you want a dirty, dusty look, you can use wax paper glued on with Aileen's tacky glue or the like. If you carefully scrape the "windshield" with a razor blade using a circular motion, you can simulate where the wipers scrape.

Loren

i use a slightly more complex way but get the same results.you mask an area the wiper would normally contact then dulcoat the window giving it a dusty look but lorens would work well also.--josh

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Using Evergreen .010" clear styrene works good. You can cut it with scissors. I know Athearns Blue Box cabooses came without glazing, which means having to cut window glazing.
Or depending on the MFG, order a new set.

doctorwayne

I'd go with the .010" styrene, too. It's easy to cut, and can be fastened in place with your usual styrene cement. Acetate is difficult to keep glued in place over time, and it will also yellow as it ages.

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

Oh Gee thanks, another project added to my list......

Actually I can't believe I forgot about the window glazing in a couple of my cabooses.

nkp174

I use evergreen's clear styrene. Commonly 0.005" and 0.010" thick.

The other classic way is microscope slide cover glass. It won't fog up like the plastics do if you mess up...and paint can be scraped off. I'd use it for any permanent windows that aren't removable...or if I had enough room for its thickness (since I like 0.005" to slide into scale window frames)