Window glazing removal?

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I purchased an undecorated caboose (Atlas) that I'm going to paint in my road's colors. I disassembled everything with no problems, but I'm not sure how to remove the window glazing.

It's glued in place, and there are also a couple of alignment tabs. My first instinct was to use an X-acto knife and attempt to just pry it up...but I don't want to crack the glazing. Any suggestions for how to safely remove them?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Prying with the X-acto might just do the trick...if not you'll have a story for the "worst model railroad disaster" thread that was popular a while ago and full of tales of ruin and cutting injuries! :) How about some nail polish remover to soften the glue. Not sure if it might damage the plastic though!
Ralph

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Ralph said:
Prying with the X-acto might just do the trick...if not you'll have a story for the "worst model railroad disaster" thread that was popular a while ago and full of tales of ruin and cutting injuries! :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I was afraid of...the tip of the knife breaking off and launching itself into my eyeball.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I guess worst case scenario (barring personal injury) is that the glazing cracks and I have to replace it.

N

nachoman

NO NO to nail polish remover. It is acetone, and will melt the plastic!! I think an approach from least to most invasive is key. try the warm water trick, then maybe the freezer trick...after that - it is up to you to decide wherther to use mechanical force. Personally, i would carefully mask around the windows.

kevin

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
No sweat, guys...

Figured I'd just try the ol' heave-ho method first, and let the chips fall where they may. I rummaged through the toolbox to find the proper...or improper...tool for the job. A small screwdriver? No, too risky. Might slip and scratch up the windows. The corner of a putty knife? Too ackward. Hey! That's where those screws went! Oh, what's this? A dental pick...hmmm. Just right.

So with dental pick in hand, I gently pried up on the glazing and it snapped right out. Turns out that dab of glue holding the pieces in isn't that strong. It didn't even really require much effort. I even used the hook end of the pick to remove the glazing inside the cupola, which wasn't glued in, but was a bit tricky to take out nonetheless.

Tomorrow, I can start painting!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
nachoman said:
NO NO to nail polish remover. It is acetone, and will melt the plastic!! I think an approach from least to most invasive is key. try the warm water trick, then maybe the freezer trick...after that - it is up to you to decide wherther to use mechanical force. Personally, i would carefully mask around the windows.

kevin

Thanks for confirming that. I know acetone removes super glues but I was also worried about the effect it may have on plastic and included my caution in my post.. Glad the prying method worked!
Ralph