Windmills from my mind

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys. :cool:

Fred: They don't squeak, but they do rattle in the wind and can make quite a racket. At least they use to, until I re-did the bearings and got rid of the screws. I replaced them with the smooth shanks of bolts and then put a short piece of steel tube in the prop. Now they run smooth.

Doc: Good idea with the fish pump. :thumb:

Robin: That's a good model ya got there. :eek: Nope, none of these run anything, other than my imagination. One day I may build one that really dose something.

I'm thinking about those Dutch windmills now. Hmmmmmmmmmmm? :confused:

Here is the plans for an HO windmill. I included a scale HO ruler so you can get the size closer than without one. Print this out and build it out of scale lumber. Mine is made from balsa wood sticks. Place a piece of wax paper over the plan on a piece of Styrofoam or corrugated cardboard, just like when you build a scale model plane. ;)

The blade assembly starts with a small round disk of wood with a pin hole in the center. This is pinned down to the diagram. Then bits of stock are cut and glued to the edge of the disk all the way around. I made the ring out of thin styrene and glued it to the assemly to give it some strength, and the blades but up against it.

Once that's done, then the frame is pinned to something stable. I used an eraser on a pencil, and put the pencil in a vice. The blades are cut out of the paper plan and glued to the frame one at a time, being careful to keep the angles the same. Make the body of the mill as you see in the pic and make the tail fin of your choice. I put a piece of styrene tube down the middle to model the power transfer to the pump below. The axis pin in the body slides into this tube, and the blade pin is glued to the body of the mill. :D

TrainClown :wave:

Attachments

• windmill plan.jpg
    windmill plan.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 68

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
TrainClown I think Don Quixote is still looking for his windmill you didn't put it over at your house did you? Thanks for the drawing of course I just bought one of the woodland scenic versions from ebay last week. In the drawing what is the lower right hand part I assume its a fence to put around the wind mill?

That drawing is actually a scale ruler, though i suppose it does kinda look like a fence...

belg said:
TrainClown I think Don Quixote is still looking for his windmill you didn't put it over at your house did you? Thanks for the drawing of course I just bought one of the woodland scenic versions from ebay last week. In the drawing what is the lower right hand part I assume its a fence to put around the wind mill?

hocaboose

Mar 3, 2004
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Nice windmills. I love to make stuff out of unlikely other stuff (my wife says that makes me cheap) but I'm turned on by the dictum that one guy's junk is another man's treasure. The latest project is a portable chop saw stand from the frame of a barbeque. Keep up the good work.

Pete

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the intrest guys. :D

Jon: That's a nice kit, but I was thinking of one I could build for a friends backyard pond. Also, I don't know if I like that particular design much. I like them more like this one.

hollandpic.JPG

Or this one.

sc_windmills_2.jpg

But I think I realy like this design in particular.

wmill2.jpg

But thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I like the big "head" on that plastic model. :confused: But it is different looking. :thumb:

TrainClown :wave:

F

Fred_M

Looks like Holland. It always amased me that those work so well with the lattice blades. Anybody know why they don't make them solid? Fred

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
dash10 said:
Looks like Holland. It always amased me that those work so well with the lattice blades. Anybody know why they don't make them solid? Fred

The ones in Holland are located right on the ocean or not far inland. I think they see pretty stiff breezes. If the blades were solid, they might spin so fast thay would come apart. When I see how fast the windmill generators spin in Tehachapi or Palm Springs, and realise they are much smaller than the Dutch windmills, the thought of big solid windmills in a high wind area is scary.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Well Fred. As a matter of fact, sometimes the blades are solid. They do this by streatching canvas over the lattis. So when the miller gets up in the morning and there's not much wind, they deploy the canvas covers. If the wind picks up a bit, they can tell by the way the mill is running, then they fold some of the canvas back to reduce the surface area of the blades. When the wind is strong, then they put the canvas away. Some windmills don't have blades as such. Instead they have 4 polls rigged like 4 lateen sails off a ship, and the sails are set due to the wind.

TrainClown :) :wave:

dutch_windmill_turning_lg_blk.gif