win rar

Discussion in 'Tips & FAQs' started by radar*293, Nov 11, 2009.

1. radar*293

radar*293 New Member

any idea where i can find a free wear of winrar that works?

thanks in advance for the help
  2. wccrawford

wccrawford Novice Papercrafter

We don't appreciate illegal activities here. Take them elsewhere.
  3. radar*293

radar*293 New Member

its not illegal if its offered on line as free wear, I've found it once before and cant again..
  4. wccrawford

wccrawford Novice Papercrafter

It is not offered as 'freeware' and never has been. What you found before was an illegal site.

You can download the shareware version from the official site, It allows you to use it for free, but has nags screens.

It is -not- 'freeware'.
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Dude, it's on a *lot* of sites as a limited trial version that after 30 days prompts you every time to register. Since you *can* use it in a limited sense for free, it is technically freeware.

For example, has a zip file for it on a lot of the model pages.
  6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I believe Radar was referring to shareware in the first place; let's not jump to conclusions.

That said, there is alot of confusion between shareware, freeware and pirated materials. Some clarification for those fuzzy on it:

Version of a program that has either limited use or nag screens, generally distributed by the developer for evaluation purposes.

Programs or software deliberately developed and released for free to the open market. A good example would be Open Office.

Warez (pirated material):
    Programs or software that have been 'cracked' or 'hacked' to full functionality without paying the developers their royalties. Commonly distributed on torrent sites, and most often infected with viruses, trojans or other nasty things. These can occasionally pop up on otherwise legit sites through error or ignorance.

It is the policy of these forums to discourage the use of warez or other pirated materials; gentle education is part of that process.

wccrawford, thank you for your vigilance, but let's not assume until proven otherwise. ;)
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, I'm wrong then Ekuth. Wouldn't be the first time. :oops:
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

LOL. No worries. And it's kind of a fine hair to split, so you're correct as well, it *could* technically be classified as freeware during the eval period.:mrgreen:
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Lol. :mrgreen: Well, now that *that* is settled, the link I gave in my first post has a download button on a lot of the model pages (example: the Starbase) in order to download WinRAR. Click it, and you should be set. :thumb:
  10. Charlewood

Charlewood New Member

Here is a RAR archive and others FREEWARE utility. Will de compress most everything. There corporate version of the software is commercial.

Zip is a new and free compression utility for Windows. jZip supports multiple popular archive formats such as Zip, RAR, 7z, ISO, TAR and GZip. It is fully compatible with archives created by other utilities such as WinZip, WinRar and 7-Zip.

Since I don't have enough post ughhhh... :curse: to post a link... type in 'Jzip' to find the site
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

Just type it in and spell out 'dot' when you see one.
  12. Charlewood

Charlewood New Member

Ah, I could do that thanks I could also post lame replies like this one and get my count up.

Reply like this don't elp the community and take up space...

But I will keep in mind the DOT solution for the next time I may have something that I think useful to share...