Willys Jeep from Modelik

Status
Not open for further replies.

lriera

Hello to all,

This time there isn’t much to explain. Tedious works where they are. First the engraving and soon the sidebands of the tires. And following, all the pieces that compose them. Altogether around 80 pieces. I assure to you that it is a heavy work, but soon has its rewards, because I believe that these tires have all the numbers to look very well.

In Pictures 91 and 92 you can see different phases to cut the inner curved part of the engraving.

91. 92.

In Pictures 93 and 94 a strip of engraving in process and finished and in the Picture 95 the five strips of the tires finished.

93. 94. 95.

The same for the sidebands. Picture 96 just shows a cut band to you. In this case I used the scissors. Very small ones with the end doubled towards a side. They go very well, but it is necessary to go little by little, taken care to perfectly follow the printed line without going out. One leaves the sight and the patience in this task. In Picture 97 all the bands already cut.

96. 97.

And tachan, tachan!, in Picture 98 all the pieces that compose the tires already cut.

Soon I will show you the progress on these.

Greetings and until soon companions.

lriera

Hello companions,

This past Easter my mother has passed away. Although she was an elder person and with a serious disease, my father and my brothers, we did not hope that the outcome was so fast. As you may understand I have been totally demoralized and still I feel bad, very bad. Nevertheless my mother liked everything that we do, is for that reason that I have committed myself to continue the construction of the Willys Jeep, and want to dedicate this model to her.

Because of this I follow with the next steps. Now about the volume of the lateral of the tires, I have tried with a wire to fill them. And thus I have come with the first wheel, the one of spare part. This is a little different from the others, because it has an open central hole, something that the other four don’t, because they simulate that in center they have the axis of the wheels.

In Photo 99 I have stuck to the tread band the piece that serves to unite both ends and in Photo 100 they are sticking both extremes.

99. 100.

In Photo 101 the band of first tread to the lateral one of cardboard is sticking and in Photo 102 the lateral second is sticking. In Photo 103 already the first inner tape of paper is placed. Here three layers of paper go each with a smaller width.

101. 102. 103.

In Photo 104 the rest of pieces are seen that are going to form this wheel. In Photo 105 I already have stuck the other two strips of paper that go inside the tire as well as the three round pieces that serve to hold the wheel to the axis. You observe that all the edges are painted with their respective colors.

104. 105.

In Photo 106 can be seen the lateral one of the tire which I have given form with my fingers and a metal piece with the round end and the wire that I am going to use to try to maintain the concave form of the lateral. In Photo 107 I have already stuck (just by three points of glue) the wire to the lateral of the tire. And in Photo 108 the outer side of the lateral of the tire is sticking to the cardboard base. You can observe that the inner part is raised because I am still not sticking it. This is to forcing the paper on the one side so that it sticks better. And in Photo 109, I help myself with a plastic tube of the same inner diameter that the tire, to help to maintain the form of the lateral of the tire, while this one sticks. And…

106. 107. 108. 109.

… objective attained, in Photo 110 you can see the tire with the sidebands with its CONCAVE FORM. For the other lateral I came with the same procedure and in Photo 111 you can see the result.

110. 111.

In Photo 112 I am beginning to stick the piece with the engraving of the tire beginning by the center and in Photos 113 and 114 you can see how I have been turn and sticking the strips of the lateral.

112. 113. 114.

Finally the tire finished in Photos 115, 116, 117 and 118 by all the sides.

115. 116. 117. 118.

Well, this is the first tire that I do and really the result has left me very satisfied. I hope you will already say what it seems to you.

Greetings to all.

Fishcarver

Lluis:

My condolences also. You are in my prayers. My own mother passed over in 2004. I feel for your loss.

Your work on the Willys Jeep is very good! I am also building a "jeep type vehicle", but it is the Russian GAZ 69, in 1:35 scale.
See here

Attachments

• IDIOTSCALE_35_1.jpg
    IDIOTSCALE_35_1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 25
Lluis,
I'd like to pass my condolences onto you and your family during this difficult time. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Kevin

lriera

Rick, Jim, Kevin, Ken and all the people, thank you very much for your support. I am very happy to find such a helpful people at the Forum.

I will feel even more motivated.

Again, thank you very much.

lriera

Hello companions,

In this session I have progressed with the other four wheels. As soon as you put yourself to produce in chain, the things go more express, although in this case and by the amount of pieces that each wheel has, it has not been as fast as I was expecting. In any case, here is the process of building the four wheels.

In Photo 119 you can see the pieces that compose each hub (as pointed to my by Rick, see next post). And in Photos 120, 121 and 122 different phases of the assembly of these pieces.

119. 120. 121. 122.

In Photo 123 I have stuck the hoops that form the cover of the tire. And in Photos 124 and 125 I have stuck to those hoops the cardboard discs that form the faces inner and outer of the wheels.

123. 124. 125.

In Photo 126 I already have stuck the first band that forms the internal hoop of the tire and I am sticking the second band. In Photo 127 I am sticking the third band that forms the internal hoop of the tire. Like almost always in this hobby, divide and rule. What I have done is to be sticking these bands little by little, because I stuck the first one in one go and it was difficult to me. This time I have been putting glue in parts of the band and centering it as I was gluing it. For that reason in the photos you can see that the band is outside (tell me if I explain it well). Finally I have to place the hubs that I mounted in Photos 119 to 122 in the center of each tire. And you can see the result in the Photo 128.

126. 127. 128.

Well the tires are ready for the inner wires, the lateral covers and the engraving.

I leave it for the forthcoming session that I will try tomorrow.

Until then, greetings to all.

In Photo 119 you can see the pieces that compose each disc of subjection of the tire to the axis (I don't know its technical name).

Hub is the word you are looking for if I am not mistaken.

Rick

lriera

Hello to all,

Thank you Rick, I am going to edit my anterior post to reflect that word. Vikto pleased to meet you here at Zealot Forum. Hope you will have nice days here :wave:. Hasta luego compañero!

And today the end of the wheels. As I promised to you yesterday, today I have finished the wheels of the Willys. I have decided to do a step upper and to begin to paint some elements. Therefore I have taken the brush, acrylic paintings of Vallejo and following you will see the result. Now no longer I only paint the edges of the paper, but also whole pieces.

In Photo 129 you can see the instruments that I have used to give round form to the edges of the wheels: a recycled kitchen sponge and the round part of a cutter. I energetically mop the piece of the edge of the wheel by all their circumference with the round part of the cutter, against the sponge. It is a good method and you can see the result of the work in Photo 130, all the edges of the wheels with its round form.

129. 130.

In Photo 131 you can see the wheels with the stuck wires on the laterals. And in Photo 132, I have already stuck the lateral pieces of the wheels in its places on the wires. I begin gluing first the outer part, for that reason, in Photo 133, you can see that the inner part of the lateral piece is raised.

131. 132. 133.

In Photo 134 I am sticking the inner part with the aid of an “unexpected device”. And in Photo 135 I already have also stuck the inner part of the lateral of the tires. There are things that are only seen in the photographies, and seeing this last (135) I took in account that when taking the wheel of the left, had taken off the central piece, is the white track that can be appreciated in that wheel in the photography. So quickly I returned it to place in its site and in Photo 136 you can see the tires correctly finished.

134. 135. 136.

And you will ask yourselves why they only appear three tires in the photographies, when there are five. The explanation is that, while waiting that the wheels were dried, I was painting of black the other two tires. The first one did not have left very well, but with the second I improved the technique and you can see the final result in the sequence of Photos that goes from the 137 to the 142. All the tires painted. Say to me if they do not seem of rubber.

137. 138. 139.
140. 141. 142.

Well, with this session I finish the tires of the Willys. The balance is positive. They have not been as I would have liked, but I believe that I have learned many techniques that did not know and that from now on I will use in other elements of the Willys. Most important is the one to paint some of the paper pieces.

You will say to me what it seems to you.

Up to soon.

Greetings.

exzealot

Lluis,

I like your technique for "rounding" the sidewalls of the tires. I always wondered about that. Your tires and wheels look great.

Ken

lriera

Hi to everybody,

Kenlwest, it is posible that other techniques exist, but this one has given good results to my.

Fishcarver, thankyou for your kind words, amigo.

Today I am going to post the build of the radiator, an easy piece. This is the introduccion of the engine, which is by itself a complete model compounded for some 100 pieces.

Meet you later.

lriera

Hello everybody,

As I promised earlier to you, this time is the turn of the radiator. But before entering the details of it, in Photo 143 you can see the different pieces that are to have majors thicknesses that those of the paper on which they come printed, glued to cards of different thicknesses. This is to illustrate this normal procedure in the construction of our models, but that surprised much to me at the first model which I constructed. The radiator is a simple part that only has 18 pieces. In Photo 144 you can see the pieces that the radiator consists.

143. 144.

In Photo 145 you can see how I have begun to stick the strip that unites the two pieces that form the radiator. As always, it is better to stick each lateral one behind the other, to assure a correct positioning and gluing of the pieces. In Photo 146 I am sticking the lateral strip and also you can see the frontal grill of the radiator with the four pieces already stuck. In Photo 147 the back grill is already stuck and I am sticking the frontal. In order to guarantee the correct separation between both pieces I am utilising the modelism pins that already I have used (Photos 10 to 14) and that have the correct diameter.

145. 146. 147.

In Photo 148 you can see the "improvised subjection" system with two plastic boxes, to hold the air conduct of the radiator (by the way, the pieces that you can see inside the box on the left, are pieces already cut of the engine). In Photo 149 you can see the radiator already finished.

148. 149.

In Photo 150 I show to you the air conduct outside the "press" and the radiator by the face where the air conduct goes glued. And in Photos 151, 152 and 153 different views from the finished radiator.

150. 151. 152. 153.

That is everything at the moment. Now it is the turn of the engine, a really complicated part that has around 100 pieces.

I will keep you informed.

Greetings to all.

lriera

Hello companions,

More progresses with the Willys Jeep. Now it is the turn of the engine… and that part is very difficult. As I commented to you, they are around 100 pieces in a volume of 5 x 2 x 3 cm (more or less) so you can imagine the work that takes that all.

As it is a long process I am going to post in the same steps that I am following to build it. First is the center body of the engine, where the cylinders lodge. In Photo 154 you can see some of the pieces.

In Photos 155 and 156 the assembly of that central body. As always, I am sticking the parts little by little to facilitate to position the elements correctly. In the Photo 157 three pieces of the central part of the motor are already finished.

155. 156. 157.

In Photo 158, you can see the pieces that go in the back part of the engine. And in the Photo 159 those pieces already glued. I realized that the two circular pieces on the low part of the photo, is necessary to stick them one against another being taken care that the drawings in them are perfectly horizontal. This resulting piece is the one that there is to beat to the piece that in the photo appears labeled like 15i.

158. 159.

And finally, in Photo 160 you can see a bunch of the pieces of the engine ready to by glued.

It will follow the piece that represents the box of transmission of the traction to the four wheels.

Greetings.

lriera

Greetings companions,

And now, the transmission box. As you can see in Photo 164 this part of the motor is made up of 17 pieces. But we go by parts and let’s begin by the beginning. In Photo 161 you can see that I have begun to mount the piece that serves to stick the box of transmission to the block of the motor. This box must be glued by the edges, without lapels, and as I encounter very difficult to stick paper edge against edge, I added lapels of my own harvest to him. It is the white tongue-piece that excels from the interior. In Photo 162 I am using another “improvised” tool as press and in Photo 163, the box already finished. One of the edges of the box is round what makes it more difficult.

161. 162. 163.

In Photo 164, you can see the 17 pieces that compose the transmission box.

In Photos 165, 166 and 167 you can see how I am joining pieces with others.

165. 166. 167.

And in Photos 168, 169 and 170 I am uniting the pieces that form the transmission. If I had not used the method “step by step” to stick this last one, I could not have done, it since this piece has a crack that can only be mounted if it is done “step by step”.

168. 169. 170.

In Photos 171 and 172, you can see the final touches at this part of the transmission box.

171. 172.

And in photos 173, 174, 175 and 176 this part already finished. You can see that it is very elaborated!

173. 174. 175. 176.

Finally, in Photos 177, 178 and 179 already I have also stuck the piece of union to the block of the motor.

177. 178. 179.

Uuuuufffff, finally it has been finished… but, a lot is left with this motor!

Follow been in tune because it comes more sessions like this one.

Greetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.