Wills Rhino Tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Willja67, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

This is mostly to help Yaniv out but I thought some of the rest of you might be interested as well.

Disclaimer: This is my way of doing it and my way has NOT been proven to be the best but it works for me. Wunwinglows tutorial is much more in depth than what this will be and is highly reccommended. In his tutorial Tim shows how to set up units and all the stuff required to be really accurate. I don't. They say the devil is in the details and that's probably the reason that it takes me forever to complete a model. But hopefully geting into the meat and potatoes quicker might help those with short attention spans.

I'm assuming that the student can navigate his way around Rhino or at least is comfortable with a 2d cad system (if you know Acad you can get by in Rhino) and so will not be teaching basic commands. I will go into some depth regarding the commands specific to creating and unrolling surfaces.

Yaniv is interested in the F6F Hellcat and DC-3 but I decided to do the F-104 for this tutorial for a couple of reasons:
    1. It's a fairly simple shape
    2. I found some decent drawings with cross sections found here

Step 1 get the bitmap into Rhino. At this point I don't bother with scale I just put it in and get to work.

There is always going to be something wrong with them. And there is with this one.

Attached Files:

2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I don't like the method of putting bitmaps in each construction plane like is shown in Tims tutorial (top view in one side in another etc)so if you're waiting to see that it's not going to happen. There may be a really good reason for it and I'm too dumb (high degree of probability) to know what it is.

My method of choice is to draw out all the views side by side first that way I can make sure that my top view is consistent with my side view, for example the leading edge of the wing starts in the same place on each view. In the screencapture below you can see that I drew in lines where each of the cross sections is placed and at the tip of the nose and end of the exhaust nozzle and learned something very important: The bottom view is scaled a little smaller than the side view (remember rule #1?).

Attached Files:

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking forward to this! Whereabouts is wunwinglows tutorial? I cant locate it?
  4. Alcides

Alcides Member

5. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

thank u very mach for that tutrial i will kip read it and post on it and for sure sher u all with my work on the first model :)
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

This is really going to be an exciting tutorial, anticipating...
  7. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

what suld i do if the up view not in the some scale of the side view like in your exempel?
  8. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

what suld i do if the up view not in the some scale of the side view like in your exempel?
  9. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I'm sure that there are other ways to do it, but get a program like Photoshop or GIMP and use some grid lines, then select the offending object and use scaling tools to resize that part of the drawing to match the other. That's why you use the grid.
    It also helps to use some rotating tools to make sure that the profile lines are at 90 degree angles to each other when you start out in CAD.
    I've been trying lately to make TurboCad work for me, and I think I may be close to a breakthrough!

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I pm'd him and asked permission to add a pdf of the tutorial for the reserves - this one will go there too when its complete :) I want to get as many tutorials in there as possible so if ANYONE knows of any good offsite tutorials please send me the link and I will try to contact the creator to see if I can load it here to the reserves as a pdf....
    <end thread hijack>
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Right way, wrong way...

Will, you are dead right, there is NO right or wrong way! Just do what works for you. Trial and error, provided you can stick at it, are great teachers. Remember Rhino has an excellent help system, if you are mid-command, hitting the F1 key will take you directly to the appropriate help page, mot of which are mini tutorials in their own right.

Basics. You MUST get to know how the snaps and constraint commands function. Understand the difference between curves, surfaces, open and closed surfaces, and get to know how to use the layer command.

Do the tutorials that ship with the program, and remember version 4 is going to be out very soon and it will have some extremely useful unfolding routines.

Rhino rocks, but you have to practice! If anyone can show what can be done with it, Will and his Corsair are a fine example!

12. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

thats my progres for today

after full week of working on rhino thats what we have for now

i have ather progres thet make like willha67 tutrial and cant wait to see is next post for us

Attached Files:

13. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

some smoll progres on the c47

how i can make the front disc more tagit to the original?

Attached Files:

• tigt.JPG
      File size:
      157.1 KB
  14. shim

shim New Member

Where can I locate your tutorial?