Williams on the way

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

After searching for a few weeks I will now have my Canadian Nation Diesel locomotive. Williams had the only one that I liked so I ordered a GP9 in black and red. I even found a place to order the boards for the diesel sounds and I can have this all put together for around $170 including new train and soundboard. Is TMCC next?:)

[FONT=&quot]Does anyone else run any Williams trains, if so how do you like them?[/FONT]
  2. cdawgs65

cdawgs65 New Member

Yes, I have Boston and Maine E7,AA and a NW2, the E7 runs nice, the sounds are fine I would like to get an upgrade because right now it's just horn and bell out of the box. Let me know if the upgrade you get is worth it and if it really is a differance, anyway I really like the looks of the E7, haven't run the NW2.
  3. cdawgs65

cdawgs65 New Member

One other thing these engines I have are scale and you need alot of room, especially with the E7's, so they look realistic on the corners.
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

The Williams engines are nice but most of them are huge beasts. I think an O31 is even too tight for some of them.
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I bought an SD45 and a U33C for my boys. They are scale sized but run just fine on the MTH Realtrak. They don’t eat the power like my old Lionel F3’s and pull great.

6. Geno

Geno Member

Once you use TMCC you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner- it frees you from being tied to the transformer, can control any accesory on your layout (with the right controlers), and is so easy to use a 3-year old kid can use it.

I bought a Lionel SD-90MAC a few years ago before I had TMCC. I then joined Angel's gate Hi-Railers in San Pedro, CA, and some of the members showed me what I was missing just running in conventional. Big difference. Now 90% of my diesels are TMCC.

DCS is more complex but better in some ways, worse in others. It's far more expensive than TMCC, which is why I recommend TMCC for beginners.

Williams engines are a great deal in O gauge 3-rail- relatively inexpensive, simple and reliable, and the classic repros are better in some ways than the Lionel oldies they are modelled after. They also make great platforms to upgrade to TMCC.

7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Actually I have a TMCC Mikado and have ordered the new K-Line RS-3 with TMCC. However I have a few conventional locomotives I still love. That is why I have set up the layout to be able to run both at the same time. I have just updated the layout with the TPC 400. The problem is that my TMCC controls are not in yet.

The layout is set up to get the most out of TMCC and Conventional at the same time. I isolated ½ of the inside loop to park my conventional locomotive on while using the rest of the tracks for TMCC.

[FONT=&quot]Geno I did catch your post the other night, I wish you all the best.[/FONT]
  8. Geno

Geno Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I actually patched things up with the wife yesterday morning- cooler heads prevaled, I'm getting to build my layout without any marital problems, she's getting her closet built the way she wants, all is well.

The breakthrough that ended the layout war was a win-win for both of us. I'm pushing one end of my layout into a closet (permission for partial demo was granted) and my layout grows another 44" , the 7' loop at the end gets pushed into the corner and my wife is no longer bothered by it.

I'm glad to hear you're well versed in TMCC- I'm still deciding whether or not I'm going to equip my layout with DCS ( I have no PS 2 engines yet).

9. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:) Great news Geno.

I have two PS 2 engines the Aerotrain and SD-9. They do pretty well in conventional but becasue of the cost I will not be getting into DSC in the near future. I pretty much shot my budget building my layout and getting together three rail names.

I'm self taught on the TMCC however I do not have it up and running yet. Just a small problem I deal with a small local dealer and my TMCC controls and 180 power brick were ordered in December with a due date of mid February. Since then I have changed from a TMC lock on to the TPC 400. That hit the train budget hard but offers more choices.

I'm a Lionel man at heart but as you can see I'm willing to try other mfgs.

Long live the PRR and the Big CN too.

I have no clue why I like the Canadian National but I do. :)
  10. Geno

Geno Member

I think you can run TMCC with your TPC 400, a command base, and any 18 V transformer (preferably 100w or better). I don't have a TPC, but I do have the basic TMCC setup and a MTH Z4000. Up to this point I've been running command only, so I'm not missing running in conventional.

I like the Canadian roads too, like CP and BCR. I'm planning on picking up the new Lionel CN SD-40-2 when it comes out- hopefully it will have dual drive and not the cheesy single drive trucks.

11. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I was hoping they would of had one for 2007. But they picked that Onion pacific or something stinky like that. :)

I was considering a CN locomotive that was a break out from the 2006 set but I thought the price was too high. The Williams should hold me over untill another TMCC comes my way.
  12. Geno

Geno Member

Works for me- I like all of those 'Evil Empire' roads like UP, BNSF, CSX, and NS- the bigger and more hungry the better. ;)

13. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

My new Williams GP 9 made it to the house today. I have a great LHS. J My first impressions were wow this is a nice looking diesel dressed in black with the large white CN on the side all in between red book ends.

However it is very difficult for me to give it a fair comparison against the newer modern diesels. Not too long ago I would have argued that my Lionel 2037 was the best thing since sliced bread. I loved that steamer and after all I had run it for over 40 years.

Then I bought a modern Lionel Mikado with TMCC after that my old steamer has sat on the siding. It isn’t that I think any less of the 2037 but it just didn’t have the beauty of the new kid on the block.

So how can I compare the Williams with my modern MTH diesel? Well the best I can say is that it has more in common with my old steamer. I love them both but they do show there age in construction and capabilities when you have some modern trains on the tracks.

Don’t get me wrong I like the Williams and the price certainly makes it a great value. It runs very similar to the old steamer, very fast and smooth. The construction is superior and the detail is just right for how it is priced. No it doesn’t have the realistic side rails like the MTH but then again is was half as much in price.

I have one complaint the diesel horn is weak and just sounds bad. The good news is that I can replace that with a better sound system. I love smoke and no the Williams doesn’t have this feature.

But the important part is that the thing can pull and runs great and after all it does have the BIG WHITE CN on the side. I am happy with my choice however I can see me updating the sound system and even consider putting in TMCC if that is possible,

I give thumbs up to Williams for bringing back the construction and style of my youth even if I have converted to the newer more modern trains. I do give this train a 9 out of 10 and will be interested in how it runs over the next few months.

[FONT=&quot]Hey I now own 5 engines with one more coming when does this compulsion stop?[/FONT]
  14. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

It doesn't.
    It's what musician's call G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
    Highly contagious, chronic, and if the wife finds out- possibly fatal.

Now where's the pics already? :mad:

15. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Glad you like it Renovo. I expect you will be happy with it down the road too. Those engines are a lot of fun to run. When I had enough track, I'd make a floor layout that was 10' x 25' and run up to 20 MPC freight cars behind my GP7's. I doubt I have enough clean track to do that now. :( While Williams isn't as detailed, they are rugged and good preformers. Williams has consistantly put nice paint jobs on their stuff over the years too.

16. Geno

Geno Member

Thanks for the kind words- actually made some progress on the layout situation and my wife. All she wanted was my loop to move away from the center of the room towards the corner, which gave me another 30" of length. Beats having to reduce my turnaround loop diameter (84").

I made the decision awhile back to focus on the modern engines and rolling stock- wish I could buy a steamer or two but for the cost of a big steamer I can get two or three diesels. Still wish I could afford a Big Boy.

17. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

The Williams engines are easy to convert to TMCC using either TAS or Electric Railroad kits. BTW I like that CN GP9 that you got.
  18. cdawgs65

cdawgs65 New Member

Thats great info Jefelectric, thanks I'm going to look both of those companies up, I'm going to have to run both TMCC and DCS, and then a seperate track for conventional to run older Lionel and my Williams, until I get the Williams one at a time set up to TMCC>
  19. jefelectric

jefelectric Member