Will this plan work?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Yes, I've changed the orientation yet again! (better now than later).
I decided I want to be able to use the existing door for access to the layout rather that have to enter through the storage area. This section of the basement has the advantage that there is no overhead ductwork to contend with - just nice, uninterrupted joists above.

I have now managed to include the essential things I wanted to have:
switching, continuous run, trolley, wye, hidden staging and lots of room for scenery.

My only concern is where the oval joins the wye and the mainline. Have I set up an impossible situation here vis-a-vis wiring? The layout will operate under DCC.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• layout2a.jpg
    layout2a.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 372

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Val - I don't think you'll have a problem - it's certainly doable in DC.

A different topic: One thing you should be aware of, if you're not already, is that turnouts are not exactly represented by a curve and a tangent straight line - there always seems to be some straight bits in the curved part. Where and how much depends on the track manufacturer, switch size, phase of the moon, etc.

Not a big deal when doing a conceptual drawing, but for a detailed plan it's more important.

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Hi Val,

The one thing that would concern me about this plan is that it appears that you'd have to duck under the layout to even be able to see your staging tracks --- let alone reach them.

You could counter the vision part with ceiling mirrors or with a video camera with a monitor where you could see it from your main isle. But it would be nice if there was walking access between your main isle and the staging area.

BillS

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Val,

Track planning is a hobby in itself isn't it? :) I filled a few notebooks before coming up with my plan...and then changed it as I built it! I like the continuous run that is broken up by a view block. Looks like you plan to have up to three trains in staging. That'll be cool to have different trains enter and exit the scene on the right. As for the left side with switching, remember to include at least one siding. I see you've become adventurous and included the wye that also creates a return loop! You'll find plenty of wiring advice among the group for that. I know not of DCC and still use those handy Atlas electrical components. :D
Looking good!
Ralph

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Val, With DCC all you'll need to do is gap both rails on both routes from the turnout at the upper left of the wye. The entire stub ended industrial area would then be powered thru a reverse module. Will you have a port scene? I don't think the location of the staging is a problem, it would be nice to see when trains are clear in their sidings, thru either of Bills suggestions. Alternately, you could install a detection system, or, at least with Digitrax, use the DCC transponding feature, which tells the system where each train is. This is really for those who have or want dispatching and may well be more than you want to deal with now. You have easy access for maintenance and rerailing and nudging that loco that doesn't start.
Have fun, Gary

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Gary! Yes, I am planning a fairly ambitious port scene, with a grain elevator and a great lakes tanker of some kind.

Ralph, you're so right - all I do these days is read about track planning, talk about track planning and then for a break I do some track planning! I'm pretty happy with this one now - it has everything I want, and it's a decent size but not too big. (Let me know when my steel has been shipped, okay?)

Billk, thanks for the tip on turnouts. I'll be sure to have a few real ones around when I get to the detailed plan.

Bill S, I hadn't thought of that as a problem since you can access that area from the other side, but then, that may become a nuisance after a while. Maybe I could shorten that side a bit to allow access from the front.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

cheers
:D Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
To the Division Supervisor:

We here at KPS are very pleased to learn of the plans for rail service to the port at Lake Ontario. We will be happy to commence with shipments to your customer there once trackage serving the company has been laid.

Sincerely,
KPS Sales Manager

Attachments

• kingsport.jpg
    kingsport.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 304

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
To the Sales Mgr
King's Port Steel Co.

Dear Sir
We are in the process of approving track plans and will soon be seeking bids on the track manufacture.

Once trackwork is complete you will be notified and all necessary paperwork will be forwarded to your head office.

We look forward to doing business with KPS.

Sincerely
Division Manager
CP Toronto Division