Will this foam work?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I can't tell enough detail from your pic. Is that white sheet bead board? You can tell if it is bead board because it will appear to be made up of a bunch of beads all pressed together. If it is, it is the wrong stuff. You can use it, but it is hard to cut, and it is the stuff that puts out really toxic gasses if burned, so don't cut it with a hot wire cutter.

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
I would think so, so long as it is fairly thick and there is not a protective covering over the foam itself. If there is, then if you could remove THAT, then yeah, it should work.

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
That would make a great base sheet foam. And it makes a great noise reducer. So it depends on what foam you get, and what you want to use it for.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
hmm...how do i cut holes in it then to run wires through? Can I just use a regular drill? lol
yes - it has beads spashed together

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
I simply poke an awl through it, even with a top coat of plaster or in my usual case, Dap "Fast & Final" latex based drywall compound.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
After looking at some of the threads posted on The Gauge, concerning your question, it looks like you live in the wrong state to get the pink and blue foam. Maybe you can start an illegal business, selling pink and blue foam to model railroaders in California.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
First, your link just takes me to the Lowes home page, not the specific product page.
Second, my very first layout (30 years ago) was made of this white beaded foam. My dad worked with computers and he used to get bunches of it in 8.5x11 sheets that came in the boxes of paper. That's all I had so that's all I used. It worked fine for scenery on top of a plywood base. Do I prefer the pink and blue stuff? Yes but then I did not have the pink or blue stuff back then.
Third, noting the fact that you went to Lowes, the Lowes here in Phoenix do not have it either. I have to go to Home Depot to find it and then, it is only in a 2'x8' sheet size. Perhaps, even though the Home Depot in your state may not carry it, possibly you could check into having them order you some. Just a thought.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
TrainNut said:
First, your link just takes me to the Lowes home page, not the specific product page.
Second, my very first layout (30 years ago) was made of this white beaded foam. My dad worked with computers and he used to get bunches of it in 8.5x11 sheets that came in the boxes of paper. That's all I had so that's all I used. It worked fine for scenery on top of a plywood base. Do I prefer the pink and blue stuff? Yes but then I did not have the pink or blue stuff back then.
Third, noting the fact that you went to Lowes, the Lowes here in Phoenix do not have it either. I have to go to Home Depot to find it and then, it is only in a 2'x8' sheet size. Perhaps, even though the Home Depot in your state may not carry it, possibly you could check into having them order you some. Just a thought.
THanks for the info.
15358 if the product number on lowes, for me the link works so sorry about that