Wilhelmshaven 1:200 scale USS Constitution

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Why thank you all for such kind words. :D

I'm glad you're enjoying my updates...it's a fun project with plenty of challenges.

Roman, I've been pondering the rigging for some time now, and I know that's going to be the biggest challenge on this one. I just hope my knot tying does justice to the grand lady. :D

Lief, she's a little one, to be sure, and I'm reminded of that every time a piece goes flying off of the work surface. :lol:

Thanks, Bill, but the model is the one with all those mistakes. :lol: I've got a few ideas to correct some things, so hopefully it won't look so bad with the next update. For some reason the photos show the glitches better than my eyeballing it, but live and learn. :D

Thanks, Rob and Barry...I was hoping you'd both like the extra photo. :D

Well, got some cutting and pasting to do, so stay tuned.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Continuing with the quarter galleries.... :lol:

I added the roof piece, finished up the lower fairing and put some trim around the windows on the starboard gallery.

The roof was a cut, fit, trim, fit, trim, some more trimming and final fitting type of deal since there is no way I could figure out the correct shape any other way. :roll: After a bit of cussing and fitting, it finally took the right shape, so I glued it in place. I found that coating the paper with glue helped to not only get the paper to take some strange curves but when dried was nicely rigid. I then painted it flat black to represent the tarred look she has in real life.

Next, I finished up the lower fairing, again using a bit of glue to try and make a smooth transition between the pieces that make up this part of the gallery, and then gave it a coat of white glue. When that dried, I again painted it flat black. I use acrylics, which I find very easy to apply, without the odors of petroleum based enamels; makes it easy to clean between colors too.

Then the trim was added. I used thin strips of paper, sliced fine with an exacto blade using my small steel ruler. The trick here was to glue it without pulling the strip into pieces as it was adjusted into the proper location. I tried to get it so it was level with the transom trim, like in the real thing, which took a bit of maneuvering with my needle point tool. The trim of the galleries wrap around and flow into the transom trim. Easy does it is the word for this work, because if the now glued paper is pushed too hard it will quickly tear. I did manage a fair blending of the trim into the transom trim, after a bit of prodding. Whew!

I also added the little trim piece at the top edge of the roof, that short white piece. It went on fairly easily, lucky for me! :lol: It coated it with white glue, which seems to also smooth the surface so it looks a bit better than raw paper.

I then cut some ridiculously small squares for the trim at the top of the window pedestals. This is when I learned that the card stock I am using (which is about 67#) is actually laminated sheets...and the laminates will break down if the itsy bitsy piece is pushed too far. :shock: I had to redo one or two of these trim pieces because the upper part separated from the lower layer when the glue dried too fast during positioning.

Finally, the gallery was almost done! :D I did a bit of touchup, tried to paint the spot where the gallery meets the gun stripe to make a crisp separation when I realized my hands tend to shake a bit. :? Luckily the brush I was using was fine enough to allow me to complete the job without too much of a ragged line, despite the slight shake that could have translated into disaster...yes, I held my breath as I painted to steady things up, and it came out okay in the end. I also took a chance and used a very fine brush to put a bit of white paint on the trim pieces, and by this time my hands had steadied up so I didn't mess it up entirely. :lol:

Jeez, between the bad eyes, shakey hands and delaminating paper, I think I'm going to have to rethink doing stuff this small in the future...nah, just kidding, but it was a little hairy. I have to say this part was the toughest so far...ah, but the rigging is still ahead! :lol:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...flush with the way the starboard side came out, I started work on the port side gallery. Sure, you'd think after doing the starboard side the port side would go easier. Well, it did in some ways, until I realized I installed the window pieces a tad too high for the trims to match up with the transom trim. :shock: Yep, had to remove the window pieces and start over. How the pieces didn't disintergrate in the process, well, I guess I was lucky, they stayed together fairly well. When I finally got the pieces at the right level, it was some of the same, fit the lower support below the windows, add the fitted, trimmed, fitted and trimmed roof, then the trim pieces. I again added a bit of white paint to the trim strips. While things were drying I finally got to color the lower rudder and the lower part of the stem to match the copper plating...every time I looked at the photos I'd slap myself on the forehead because I kept forgetting this little detail. :roll:

Ta dah! The galleries were completed!

I also had time to add the waterways to the inner bulwarks. They are a pretty noticeable feature if you go to see the real Constitution, so I had to add them. I cut out long, narrow strips of paper and painted them the color of the bulwarks. I then glued them to the lower bulwarks and deck at an angle. They are about a 45 degree angle from the bulwarks, which was a tad difficult to achieve beause the paper wanted to either flatten out onto the deck or to straighten out along the bulwark. After a bit of prodding with my fine tweezers, and re-adjusting the twist of the strip, and some more prodding, they were finally in.

I also added the strip on the inner transom that represents the original cap rail, much like the strips along the bulwarks. At the transom,however, there is a small knee piece at each corner of the transom, so I had to again trim some scrap and fit them in place. I am learning a bit how to brush some glue on the fitted pieces to help fair up the edges so they flow smoothly into the existing piece. Well, you can't really see it too well in the photos, but the glue made it look better than without it. :lol:

Finally, in a bit of madness, I decided to add the small steps on each side of the inner transom. These were made up of two pieces of small strips which where then pre-painted black, dried, and then glued into place. At this small size I have to be careful to make sure I don't apply the paint to heavily to the pieces. Because I have to use a clap to hold the piece for painting when the part just painted is dried, I have flip the piece to paint the other, unpainted part. If the paint if applied too thick (which isn't really a lot of paint at this size, even a smidgen too much paint creates a problem) then a slight uneveness appears where the freshly painted part meets the just dried part...is that clear??? :? I found if I brush this interface a bit, it will smooth out nicely. Just something I thought I would mention. :lol:

Well, after the paint dried thoroughly (and making sure all exposed edges are painted), I then put the steps in place. The upper step is placed slightly inboard of the lower step, as you might see in the photo, not even with each other. That's the way it should be, actually, I suppose to help someone climbing the steps to clear the knees of the rails.

Well, that's it so far! I plan on working on a few more exterior hull details next time, like adding the bumpkins, doing something with those hideous bright blue lights just above the copper plating line, and working on the gun deck lids. I'm not sure if I will add those gun deck barrels at this point or wait until just before the rigging starts to avoid knocking them off while working, but they shouldn't be too much of a problem...and I would love to just finish up the exterior hull before getting into the spar deck furniture and carronades, etc. Decisions, decisions.... :lol:

I'm including a few full hull length shots this time just to sort of show you where I am overall. Slowly but surely the hull takes shape.... :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
And now the port side gallery...and hopefully the transom lights/lids are more visible in the last shot. :lol: I did cut out the name plate from another sheet and added it to the transom...the white edge shows up slightly, just like on the real ship.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

Realy fine detail, realy fine photos what more can I ask for on this dark and very damp Sunday morning :lol:

Very nice fix for the troops mate, keep up the great posts 8)

Pestering for more :roll:

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Thanks for the full hull shots Jim it helps to keep the size in perspective, an incredible job at this scale. I enjoy reading the book that goes with it too.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thank you everyone, I'm very glad you all enjoyed the last update. :D

I tried to give you a bit more with the photos...glad the troops are happy, Ron. :lol:

Leif, the captions are the names I assign to the photos when I crop them and save them for posting. I also number them for each update to make it easier to figure out the reverse posting of attachments...sometimes it doesn't matter which photo is first, but some times it does, just for content's sake, so I like to figure out which photo should be posted first to give it some sort of logical order.

I'll be spending most of the day taking my daughter around for Halloween, so don't think I'll be able to get to anything on this build today...sorry! :( I'll try to make up for it in the next post. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thank you very much, Bill! :D
I'm so glad you're enjoying the thread!

Well, this weekend was a bit of a bust for modeling...had to help my Mother-in-Law with a little project Saturday and Sunday morning, went to a birthday party for one of our nieces Saturday evening and today it was a party for my Mother-in-Law! I did get a few hours in between everything (stubborn fellow that I am), but nothing worth posting. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I don't at least cut a few pieces of paper, bend, fold and glue a few things I get antsy. :lol:

If I get to her again tomorrow night or during the week and finish some of these small items, I will post a few photos. Mainly just working on little details on the exterior now, before I start the spar deck battery and the deck furniture, so nothing major. I added two little ports below the transom, started the port lights below the gun stripe on the starboard side and did a little fix up work on those head rails...I wasn't happy with the way the stripes didn't come out cleanly so I drew up a few strips with white trim stripes and printed them out. I did part of the starboard rails and still have the port side to do next...hopefully tomorrow night. I started work on the gaff boom rest, but didn't finish it yet. I'm also brainstorming a bit on how to make what looks like chain for the rudder chain; last idea I had was to fashion a sort of braided line using small thread, similar to what I did with the Mexico Victory anchor tackle.

Well, hope to get some quality time with Constitution soon and to post some photos then...sorry about no pictures of the model, but in the meantime here are a few shots of the real deal to show what tidbits I'm talking about. :D

Cheers!

Jim

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Great pic of Connie, Jim! I feel the same way as you when I don't get to work on "SOMETHING!" related to papermodeling! I had all the greatest intentions to get another "top" done for Cleo this weekend, too....but alas...the urgent got in the way of the fun!

Jim, I know you've probably seen this site, but your thread reminded me of it....I haven't visited it in a while....but I post it now for those of you who might be interested in seeing some pics of the crew rebuilding Constitution's Fighting Top. I actually used these pics to scratch build a top just for the fun of it! Just start on the links under "Work In Progress". Here's the link: http://www.history.navy.mil/constitution/

Keep up the good work, Jim.....Great Thread!

Max
Capatian, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Gang! :D

Well, did a bit more on those "fiddly bits" today...worked on the berth deck porthole lights a bit ("lights" in this instance refers to portholes), the mooring bars and started tackling the gun deck gun ports. A bunch of little things added to the exterior to add some interest to the exterior hull.

To make the porthole lights I used a punch to make little rings which I then dabbed a bit of white glue to to create the glass discs in the middle. It muted the stark royal blue dots used in the kit to show these portholes just a bit, not as much as I had hoped, but it's as good as it's going to get, I suppose. I then played with some crescents I cut from card and added to the tops of the portholes to create those little water divertors (not sure of the correct term) on each porthole. It turned out to be a little labor intensive (read "took a lot of time to get them in place" :D ) but I hope the end results accomplish what I was aiming at. I still need to touch up the black portions of the hull exterior to get a more consistent finish to the planking.

I also used a little bit of nicrol wire (very thin but very strong) to create those mooring bars that she now has...not sure if they were on the original, but it is used to tie off some of the moorings today as she lies in her berth at the Charleston Navy Yard. I decided (so far) not to add the rings that are part of this mooring bar, but that remains an option later on if I change my mind. They were just made from staple-like lengths of wire, and glued into holes and then painted. It took a bit to get them the right depth from the hull sides to keep it all in scale...not much clearance, which meant I had to be careful in painting them lest I filled in the space with the paint.

Well, I finished the portholes and mooring staples on the starboard side. The port side should go a bit easier now that I have the steps down in making these enhancements.

I also played around with some of the gun deck gun ports. I wanted to replace the printed gun ports along the gun deck, since they lacked some distinctive details seen in the original. I figured the best way was to use another print of the hull sides and work with the printed gunports. I punched teensy weensy holes for the gun lid ports, and made even smaller holes with a pin for the lid laniard to be added later, and then fashioned the water divertors that are located above the upper lids. I also punched out the hole through which the gun barrels will protrude before cutting the lids from the template. I used glue soaked string to create the divertors, glued it in place over the lids on the printed template, and then trimmed the gun ports from the template for finishing and installation.

Actually, I got just one done and installed today :eek:ops: , but along the way I figured out some shortcuts in building them. :D I installed the first one, then added some silk thread on both the top and bottom lids to represent the hidges, and then finished them with white paint. One thing I learned was it will be easier to add and paint the hidges while the ports are still on the template sheet (took a bit of prodding with me shakey hands! :D ). I also figured it will look better to paint the edges of the lids before gluing them in place, particularly along the edges where the two lids meet, as the first one had a distinctive ink line that I felt took away from the appearance, so I will paint that before gluing them in place with the rest of the lids.

The laniards were also a "learn as you go" affair, as after the first one I figured it too would be easier to tie the pull cord to the line that goes across the upper lid off of the lid. I had glued this cross line onto the lid first, and then tied the pull cord to it in the middle...took a bit of maneuvering, but it seemed to work...but tying this off the lid will be easier. I show a photo of how I am doing this with the "third hand" jig I have; not only is it easier, but I can do a bunch at the same time!

I put little pin holes in the upper lid for the cross laniard and then rove the two ends through, gluing it on the back side. There is a similar hole for the pull cord, just below the water diverter, but it's tough to see against the black color. Finally, I put a dab of white glue from the back side of the upper lid over the port hole lights which when dry looked like the glass lights. I them painted a little black on the back side of the glue-glass portholes so when viewed from the finished side you would see the portholes (otherwise, the white colored hull underneath would not give enough contrast to the portholes in the lids...and not look like it does in real life).

Well, that's about it for tonight. Lots of little things going on, but once these are done I can start toying with the carronades, and other deck furniture. I still have to finish the starboard side gunport lids, and then do the whole thing again on the port side. :roll: As soon as I finish the starboard side I'll try to post a photo to show how it comes out...hopefully it will add to and not detract from the hull. :lol: We shall see.... :D

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
And still some more...in the first photo of the printed sheet you can see the original royal blue portholes I was trying to improve upon. :?
The second photo shows the punch I used, and the third is the jig for tying the laniards.