Wierd Question?

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Hi, I was drawing up some yard designs today and thought about a typical ladder yard, but at the other end have it go into a turntable. The turntable would serve a roundhouse for engine storage, but would also be able to serve each end of the yard.

Has anyone seen this? I don't imagine it would be prototypical, but thought it might be interesting.

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Yes, that was my thought exactly. I was thinking that a engine could go head in to the yard and then disconnect and escape. I want a roundhouse and turntable and I thought that this would be a good way to get more use from it.

John

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
It is of course theoretically do-able, but there would be problems caused by such a setup: any engine using the yard would probably impede traffic going into and out of the roundhouse. The inability to switch cars from that end would be a serious problem in the yard--you'd need a couple of well-placed escape tracks to be able to switch properly.

So sure, you could do it, but I don't think the prototype would. If you care about such things, it might give you pause. If not, have fun--lots of folks are into doing fun things with turntables and sector plates and transfer tables and what have you.

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Thanks for the reply.

I do plan on having a seperate entrance/exit for exclusive turntable use. My plan is to have the Turntable/roundhouse add to the flexibility of the yard not take away from it. I know that it may not be prototypical and I am not to worried about that. Yet I don't want to make it so unreal either.

Thanks