Why? Why? Why?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by josve, Nov 23, 2007.

1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I don't know - I'm hoping that the blood loss I've experienced due to not treating my knives with enough respect in the past will suit me.

Currently I rarely set the knife on the table without putting the cover on it. The combination of 2 cats and a 21 month old make that a necessity.
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

It makes you wonder what little gnome is darting out and hiding the piece until you leave - I blame the cats :)
  3. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

It not just small parts that vaporise.
    I'm two thirds of the way through building Betexa's Prague Castle. Great kit! Hours of work but worth it. I cut the pages for the last section from the book. I look through them and go to start. The two pages to begin this section are missing! They've been free from the book for only five minutes. I've been nowhere. No obvious aliens have visited. I search everywhere, and again, then once more. I leave it, they're bound to turn up. That was two months ago. They haven't appeared. I still live in hope but £40 is a lot to pay for two sheets of A4 card.
    If anyone's got a spare sheet H12 & H13 I'd like to hear from you. Have a look. If they can disappear from here without trace, the same teleportation process may have dumped them on your desk!

4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I have actually visually experienced the "spacial rift effect" for myself.

And oddly enough, with a key, too.

A buddy of mine was sitting on his couch redoing his keys. I watched from not less than 3 feet away as he dropped one straight down onto the carpet (which was a dark blue, btw). The key literally dropped out of sight.

It never hit the floor. I swear it just vanished as it got about 1 inch from the carpet.

We moved the couch, moved every frakking piece of furniture in that room. Moved the cushions (found alot of change and dried french fries), but we never found that key.

He never did believe me.

And no, we weren't drinking, or participating in recreational substance research.

So my opinion? Momentary rift in the space/time continuum.

Sometime, somewhere, a person will find a key they never had.
  5. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy......
    ( Shakespeare was a cardboardmodeler too..)
    Cheers, Billy
  6. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Carver's Law

states that
    "The work in progress will always fall so as to do the most damage"

Roberts' First Corollary to Carver's Law:

"The work in progress will always fall the night before you are to deliver or show it."

Roberts' Second Corollary to Carver's Law:

"The amount of time that you spend finding, recovering and/or restoring the damage will be equal to, if not double, that you spent in creating the piece in the first place."

Hyde's Law: "Small pieces find small places"

Jill's Corollary to Hyde's Law: "Check under your shoes."

Roberts' Third Corollary to Carver's Law:

"Cherchez le chat (Look for the Cat)"

Paul's Law:

"It cannot fall off the floor".

Roberts' Corollary to Paul's Law:

"Oh, yeah?"

Jo Sonja's Law:

"If you drop a tube of paint, you will step on it.".

My heart aches with you, my bretheren....

7. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Y'know, having the fading eyes syndrome, as many of you seem to have as well, I'm reminded of something I saw once in a jewelers... The fellow had what appeared to be a large, short apron the edge of which that was tacked to his workbench and the loop around his neck. When small parts fell, they fell in the apron and were easily recovered. I may have to go to something of that nature.
  8. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Gentlemen, it is nice to know that we all belong to the "dropped X-Acto club" but how many have dropped [and caught] a plugged-in pencil soldering iron? Take it from one who has, and has the scars to prove it - ya don't want to do it! BTW, Josve - good luck looking for the parts. :)
    Fred Z.
  9. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Dude... I think I have your friends key... :D

I must be extremely blessed... or just plain lucky. I do most of my modeling on the coffee table in front of the tv which is quite close to the front door.

We have 2 dogs, 5 cats and anywhere from 1 to 5 kids running riot through the house on any given day. If I'm working on a build, it can sometimes sit on that coffee table, well within reach of all dogs, cats and kids, for days, weeks and sometimes months. On a windy day the breeze blows right past the table, and I also have an A0 size cutting mat which sticks out wider than the table and can be easily knocked by passers by.

So far, after about 6 builds on that table, I have only lost one important part, but it was from a free downloaded kit so it wasn't a huge effort to replace it... I wanted to share that info, but now that I have, even as I still type, I can't help feeling I've jinxed myself!!

Excuse me, I have to go move some stuff off my coffee table....