Why? Why? Why?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by josve, Nov 23, 2007.

1. josve

josve Active Member

OK! the scene is.....you are sitting there at your workbench making a little part to a model. Consentration is on top,steady hands......ooops the part drops from your tweezers and onto the floor.Did it fall straight down so you can easily find it just around your feets? Did it fall almost straight down so you can easily find if again 15cm from your feet? Or does it fall straight down at all?
    My answer is no no no!! It might fell straight down,but it can't be found anywhere near your feet....not 15cm around....not 0,5meters around,even not one meter from where you sat can that **** part be found?
    Does parts have some evil inside? If not how come you will never find the downfallen part anywhere nearby??
    Even the tinyest part can move realtively far away concidered the size of the part.Paper has obviously some bouncing inbuilt effect.....
    This got to be one of the major questions out there!

PS.....I found it almost 1,5meters away.....And with bad lighting down there under the bench....combined with eyes that need alot and I mean a lot of light to have a chance to see something at all under a workbench,it's got to be something very near a miracle :)
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I hear ya buddy!

However with one small change - if the part is small it ends up a mile away. If its big or its a part you already have folded or glued together for attaching it invariably falls straight down between your legs where reflex kicks in - squeeze your legs together to catch the part - squish....
  3. josve

josve Active Member

LOL thats the part I left out Chris! Big parts might get destroyed long before they even hit the floor by the brilliant manly evented technique you mentioned.
    But another side is when the big part finally hits the floor, and you unfortunately sits in an office chair with 5 wheels......do I have to say more??
  4. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

LOL. Too true. :)
  5. cbg

cbg Member

. . . And I'll add this: it's always the same part that seems to be dropped, lost and rolled over several times before finally getting glued.
  6. gcsmith

gcsmith G. Smith

Been there!

Jerry Smith
  7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Don't forget that it doesn't matter how soon it is after vacuuming, there are at least a half dozen cat hairs that are drawn to the fresh glue before you can find the piece on the floor as well.
  8. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Be happy you found the thing at all! I swear to the Almighty some of my parts have fallen into the Twilight Zone never to be found by mortal man!
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I dropped a key by my bed and I heard a dull clunk and it was never seen again. I actually watched it fall and then bounce out of site.

10 years later bed is gone and even the rug is gone and nothing.

Vanished into another dimension.
  10. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I have had that lost key thing happen before. Makes you wonder what other forces are at work out there.

As far as the lost model parts go, yes, the cat hair with a freshly vacuumed floor is another natural force.

Real good lighting helps, and when the parts fall as they will, try dropping a piece of scrap card with the same size and shape but this time watch it as it falls. I have found that most of the time it lands close to the dropped model part. Sometimes the model part seems to have gone on a walkabout, though.:D
  11. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I hate to think how many times I crawled on my hands and knees looking for a small part in the carpet. UGH! Thanks for reminding me. wall1 :curse: sign1
  12. I dropped my scalpel once, but it was easy to find, standing strait-up in my thigh....:twisted:
    Cheers, Billy
  13. The thing is when the part falls it enters a hole in space, so you will find it eventually just not until you are fed up.:cry:
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Let me guess.... no cartoon sounding "Thup-up-up-up-up-up-up-up"
  15. Fred Bultman

Fred Bultman Member

How far it travels is inversely proportional to the size. Small parts always travel farthest and to the darkest corner. Big ones invariably get stepped on before you find them.
  16. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Another weird effect - parts always land with the printed side down, so your carefully cut part blends in perfectly with all the other small pieces of white paper laying about. :(

I imagine in Card Modeler's Hell the workshop floors are all white. :eek:
  17. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Ah, but you will always find it in the last place you look. Of course if you find it in the first place you look, that's also the last place you look :mrgreen:

18. otftch

otftch New Member

The worst thing I ever dropped was my modelers knife.I used to build with no shoes and it went through my foot and stuck in the floor.I had to wiggle it to get it out.Of course the wife laughed the whole time she was bandaging it.
  19. dansls1

dansls1 Member

All these horror stories about dropping Xacto knives makes me think I've been pretty lucky so far. I've used them pretty regularly from like 10 years old, and while I've managed to gash my fingers pretty well 3 or 4 times with them, but no dropping incidents yet (knock on wood...).
  20. shrike

shrike Guest

You need to write a 2 page single-spaced treatise on the subject of "Hubris through the Millenia" as quickly as possible to appease the gods after a comment like that. Unless you're really in good with your local wood spirits.