Why we see so many coal trains

pontiacsforever

Mar 16, 2005
Victoria, BC
Another take on this

Hi all,

Interesting reading to say the least. Here's my thought which kind of ties in with enjoying our hobby (and our lives for that matter).

IMHO, we're spending way too much money on studies, computer modelling, and having arguments/discussions about whether or not global warming is an issue, why don't we just use some logical sense as to what is a sustainable way to live? And sometimes go inside ourselves to find out how we feel about something rather than relying always on others to tell us what is right and wrong? There is so much to enjoy in our lifetimes, such as model railroading (told you this would tie in with MR :D).

I walk to and from work everyday, partially because gas prices are higher and I prefer to save my money for other things, but also because I enjoy the exercise. I see things I wouldn't see if I drove to work everyday, such as the cherry and plum trees blossoming right now. But I realize not everyone can walk to work so if you have to drive that's fine with me too.
When I do drive it is in one of my collector cars and yes, they are not as fuel efficient as a modern car but I do restrict my driving and I feel better about it.

I also try to buy local produce when I can, partially because this has less impact on the environment but also because I like to support local growers and our island and province's economy. And usually it tastes better as it was harvested when it was riper.

I also have collected various household discards to scratchbuild items for my layout. Beats having to go to the hobby store everytime I need something. And it's amazing what can be used and the surprised reaction of people viewing my layout when they learn what I made something out of.
thumbsup.gif

I can usually find another reason other than environmental to be more conscientious about how I live my life.
smile.gif

Let's lighten up a bit (we're way too serious about everything), enjoy life as best as we can and not worry so much about everything. After all we have a great hobby to enjoy!
biggrin.gif

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Gentlemen, and ladies, Brakie has asked there be no further political wrangling about global warming. We ask you to respect this polite request so that we can keep this thread open, for the discussion of coal trains. On behalf of the Gauge, thank you for your co-operation and as Marc just said "let's lighten up, enjoy life" and each other.

Val

L

lester perry

About coal trains size

I have been told that back in the 50s West Virginia past a law limiting coal trains to 250 cars as they tied up crossings to long and emergency vehicles (fire trucks) couldn't get through. At 10 MPH 250 cars take a long time to pass. I remember as a child in W.V. my father turning off the car at crossings they were so long. I model C&O so naturally I have many coal cars, about 125 of them. I pull 35 car coal trains on a regular basis with H-8 or T1 or K4. I use a 2-6-6-2 mallet to pull smaller trains on mine runs. I also use a consist of 4-5 GP7 & 9 which looks really cool. If you model C&O you must haul coal and lots of it.
Les
100_1497.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
OK, we've seen some attempts at directing the thread back to its original intent and we've seen some moderator editing. My plan is to remove any further posts about global warming and redirect this thread to coal trains only. Thank you for your cooperation.
Ralph

L

lester perry

More Angles

Here is all I have right now.
100_1498.jpg

100_1496.jpg

100_1499.jpg

Peach Creek W.V. in Logan county at on time was sending out somewhere around 28 coal trains a day. At lets say 200 cars each that is a lot of coal.
Les

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Renovo PPR said:
I found a cool link that explains the different type of loaders for coal car. If your modeling a coal train I think you will enjoy this link. Don't forget to check the other links on the site.

http://www.appalachianrailroadmodeling.com/abcsofcoalloads.html

Very interesting link , thanks.
I'm interested in coal trains too because where I'm from ( Liege, Belgium ) it used to be a coal and steel city around 1960. So I have a memory of those coal and iron ore trains ( from Luxemburg ) passing thtough my hometown.
Plus, I spent a few years ( around 1975 ) in ... Kentucky.
Coal trains are very long, impressive and ... a pain in the neck when you are waiting in your car at a railroad crossing.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Coming from the Pittsburgh area to the Johnstown area in Pennsylvania there is a lot of steel and coal history. Liege has a longer history with both steel and coal. Liege was once the heart of the Industrial Revolution on the Continent and the coal and steel industries are a great part of its heritage. Liege developed Europe's earliest and most advanced coal mining industry, metallurgy plants, glassworks and especially gun factories.

[FONT=&quot]If I am correct Liege is a large hub for rail traffic in addition. It appears coal was once the most important product ever hauled on the open rails around the world.[/FONT]

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Renovo PPR said:
Coming from the Pittsburgh area to the Johnstown area in Pennsylvania there is a lot of steel and coal history. Liege has a longer history with both steel and coal. Liege was once the heart of the Industrial Revolution on the Continent and the coal and steel industries are a great part of its heritage. Liege developed Europe's earliest and most advanced coal mining industry, metallurgy plants, glassworks and especially gun factories.

[FONT=&quot]If I am correct Liege is a large hub for rail traffic in addition. It appears coal was once the most important product ever hauled on the open rails around the world.[/FONT]

You for sure know about Liège history Renovo PPR.
Of course coal mining, metallurgy, and railroad go hand in hand.
There are traces of metallurgic activity in Liège before the year 1000.
About gun factories, I remember as a kid ( in the fifties ) playing with my dad's gun manufactured at the FN ( Fabrique Nationale d'armes de guerre ) and it was patented by ... Browning.
About rail traffic ( It's The Gauge after all ), my grandfather used to work with a ... steel pipes company located next to the biggest railroad yard and next to the most important railroad interchange and I remember him telling stories that during WW2 they had to interrupt their work a few times a week because the Luftwaffe was bombing that strategic area. They had to stop working and find refuge in the entry tunnel of an abandoned ... coalmine ( I've seen that place ).

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
oldtanker said:
Boiased, thanks for the tidit of WWII history!

Rick

It's my pleasure Rick.
I like history, and when I'm interested in a particular hobby I like to learn about it's history.
I'm a homebrewer and the brewing history is just based on 1 thing: tax evasion. For example why Guinnes uses rosted barley instead of roasted malt is tax related.
By the way, another brewing piece of history is that in the middleage and in Liège a brewer found guilty of using unlawfull ingredients was simply ...burnt at the stake. I think that's the reason why we Belgians are so picky about beer lol.
So back to coal trains again. ( It's The Gauge after all ). I live in Quebec now , but in more than 25 years I never saw a single coal train around Montréal. I'm not surprised because the whole Québec economy is based on hydro electricity.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Biased, I'm a home brewer too! I did 3 tour of Germany and fell in love with good beer. I started brewing at home shortly after I retired from the Army and have been doing so for 10 years. My wife........wines..sign1 and makes some pretty good wine.

I'm going to try to get to Perham or Detriot Lakes this week and get some pictures of some of the coal trains running through.

Rick

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
if you want good pics on coal trains in C&O history,go to www.cohs.org it has alot of C&O's coal history and one of my first choices when i need pics or plans and even the plans for my coal mine on my layout.--josh